Truth.

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."

Ariel Durant

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Bad weather on the way.

We are supposed to have some powerful storms rolling through here for the next few days. Right now you couldn't ask for a more perfect day, but that can change quickly in the mountains.

I am in the process of inventorying my guns.  Tedious, but I do it every few years just to make sure everything is where it's supposed to be.

Even worse, once I've finished that I need to inventory the ammunition. Since I "combat load" the ammo by distributing it among three buildings, that's even more of a chore.

My gun safes are in the main house, so the bulk of the guns are there as well. But the ammo, that's a different story. It's all over the place. Of course, the theory is that if I lose one building to fire, I won't lose all of the ammo.  I spread my essential equipment and supplies out over the three buildings that have climate control. That's a must, because we get sub zero here in winter, and the humidity in summer is around 87% on average. Anything left in the ambient air would degrade rapidly.



All of my reloading equipment and supplies are out in the shop.  Smokeless powder doesn't explode, but I need everything right where I can lay hands on it when I want to reload. So if the shop ever goes, be it to fire or tornado, I'm out of business there.  So far I've been ok , so perhaps my luck will hold.


When I worked for the oil and gas company, I had a lot of benefits. One of them was that my boss had an FFL and a retailers license from the state. He let me use it to buy wholesale from the big dealers. So I bought a lot of ammo by the crate. Back then, ammo was cheap anyway and it was practically give away compared to today.  So I have many, many cases of ammo I have never opened. Also, I bought new production commercial by the case to add to my surplus ammo.  This whole place is supposed to be handed over to my kids once the wife and I can't stay up here anymore due to age or health. I don't know how that is going to work out since they moved to the city and work for a company they like. Only time will tell.  If they decide to sell the property and the contents of the buildings, there will be some hellish good deals for anyone who has a truck and doesn't mind driving up here!


Aside from my "regular" magazines, there are some special editions of others that I buy. Once a year, certain magazines put out survival editions.  Popular Mechanics has an annual "survival guide" edition that's good. This is the latest from Field and Stream.  I like their survival kits because they only evaluate equipment that "Joe Everyman" could afford. If you look at Off Grid or American Survival Guide, they only look at the very best.  But as the Russians say, "the best is the enemy of good enough."  I can afford everything in Field and Stream's write ups. I can rarely afford any of the items featured in the "$10.00 a copy" magazines.


Well, time to get ready to go. We're going into the library today. I was going to the dump, but I don't feel energetic enough for that today. And I have all the time in the world.....



22 comments:

  1. The storms will help out my garden, so that is good. It's been so dry here.
    I hate doing inventory of anything - it's just tedious and tends to make a big mess before it's all over with. Has to be done though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. especially when you get older. I found a gun I thought I had lost in the bottom of a safe it wasn't supposed to be in!

      It's been dry here too, I just hope the storms don't cause big winds. Those are tough on shake roofs.

      Delete
  2. If you and your wife ever have to leave your place, the local thieves may clean it out before your kids ever get there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would have to be a "phased withdrawal." I don't know what is going to happen, and it's hard to plan for because our situation keeps changing. I guess I'll work it out when I have to.

      Delete
  3. Harry,

    Like you, hubby has been doing inventory of his ammunition. He's dominated my kitchen with his ammo cases and it just drives me crazy.......I'm walking around cans when trying to make meals.
    I hope you get a little rain, nothing severe, just a gentle soak shower. I pray you don't get the weather we had last night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always amazes me how these things move themselves around over a year's time. When I do inventory I always find discrepancies, although no one but me messes with this stuff and surely I would not move or use something without recording it in the spreadsheet! I think my buildings are infested with gun gremlins. It's the only possible explanation.

      We got wind and thunder last night, but no rain. It looks like the storm is breaking up and will probably miss us but the forecast for next week looks promising. I know you had it rough out in Oklahoma last night, I was watching Weather Channel and they covered your area extensively. We do get bad tornadoes here, the adjacent counties to the South were annihilated in April about ten years ago. I remember driving over there and where there had been houses there were just cement slabs with pipes sticking up.

      Delete
  4. I now know why you like Ferrets!!!! They are intelligent cousin's to pack rats and you are their King. Now I suffer the same disorder. Have the kids ever wished you good health and long life then made the remark "we don't want to have to clean out your shed's"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wife is doing big time spring cleaning to get rid of clutter. We aren't throwing away useful things though, mostly her old teaching files and teaching materials. We did throw away some time expired food that none of the animals would eat, and I hated that, but it was just too old to be utilized.

      Delete
  5. It snowed here Monday and I've still got snow on the ground. It melted where the sun hit, but it is still in the shady places.

    It took me a while to remember the "safe place" where I put a couple of handguns. That's a sign I might have two more than I need. Of course, owning guns isn't about how many you actually need.

    My only daughter that's interested in my guns lives in state where it'd be nearly impossible to own them. Heck, if I inherit my father-in-law's collection I'm going to need another safe or two.

    Ammo inventory is something else that needs doing. Last time I did that I realized I had a gun for which I had no ammo. A gun without ammo is just an awkward stick. Fixed that problem directly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what the laws are up where my kids are, but I gave them rifles, shotguns, and pistols in case they have to bug out of that city. I think the laws there are fairly common sense, not like California or New York, but on reflection I ought to look it up just so I know, and can tell them.

      I keep pistols all over the place, because I don't want to be down in the family room or up in the upper study and have somebody kick in the door or come through a window on the mid level, and me be out of luck. Where ever I am, I can reach a pistol in seconds.

      Working on my inventory of hand guns, it seemed to me that I was short of .44 special for one of my revolvers so just ordered 200 rounds of that. Inventory is good because it jobs your memory.

      They are having snow out in Colorado too. Strange weather. Warm and balmy here, snow in your area and in Max's.

      Delete
  6. we so badly need the rain..not the dangerous storms, but rain. The pollen has been killing us here, and I look forward to seeing it washed away a bit.
    Stay safe over there...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I washed my Cherokee in town twice in two days, each following day it was completely covered with yellow pine pollen.

      No rain last night, just wind and thunder and lightening. We may be getting some rain next week though.

      Delete
  7. Harry - we were expecting snow and rain for this afternoon but no sign of it yet (knocks on wood!). it may come later or it may, like these storms usually do, pass right by us and we'll only get a bit of rain. as for all of your preps and weapons - if your kids don't want it i'd hire 2 18wheelers to head down and pack it all up! it'd be a goldmine!

    sending much love! your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kymber, I tried to import six Walther P38 pistols from Canada, around 2001 I think it was, and I couldn't make it work. I'm not sure how much luck you would have reversing the process.

      Oddly enough, I have kept notes on who wants what, and told my son that if anything happens to me, he can sell whatever he wants, but he should sell some specific items to certain of my cronies for whatever they offer. If I have something and you want it, check out your laws and if it's practical I will put you in the file for it. Ryan is in there, and so is Commander Zero. I expect most of my stuff will go as a lot to Classic Collectors or some outfit like that, but I can at least give those that want a specific piece the option on it.

      Delete
    2. thanks Harry! we'd love to be marked down for one of your m39 mosin nagants, and all of the crap paperwork would have to be done on our side. they are allowed in canada, and jam has looked for a good/decent one from gun stores here in canada but an m39 is impossible to find!

      continuing on - that snow/rainstorm we were supposed to get yesterday - passed us right by - woohoo!

      sending much love as always! your friend,
      kymber

      Delete
    3. Ok, do the research and see what needs to be done and I'll get things ready on my end so my son only has a simple process to follow. I imagine when I croak the whole family will have their hands full as I do all the financial management and accounting for all of us.

      Delete
    4. i can understand how difficult it will be for them when you croak - in another hundred years! but i was teasing - we'd love to have an m39 - but there are probably family members like your brothers or cousins who would really appreciate being gifted with one when you croak - in another hundred years! xox

      Delete
    5. Seriously, Kymber, I am keeping a list for when I become incapacitated or I die. My son has no interest in guns other than as tools and he already has what he needs. I will put you and J down and you can contact Glenn about getting a gun up there when the time comes. I'd rather sell them to my friends than just have them picked up by a truck and hauled off to a shop in Texas, which is what will happen to most of them. Also this plan allows me to enjoy my collection while I'm alive and clear in my mind, as opposed to having to sell it off now.

      Delete
  8. We've had a lot of rain in the evening time. Yesterday the sirens went off before school was out. When my husband went to go pick up our kids there were a lot of scared and sad faces. He said mainly from girls in the school. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw it was pretty iffy your way. Today here has been calm, we didn't get any rain and no sign of it now until the weekend. I'm glad the tornadoes didn't get you. I am not surprised the young ladies were afraid, it's like artillery fire. There isn't much you can do except take cover and if it hits you, it hits you. That's a bad feeling.

      Delete
  9. I hope your storms were not too bad. We have had some bad weather here but at our house only small hail and lots of rain.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nothing at all here, Kathy. The weather people missed the ball on this one. I guess I am not sorry. I don't want storms, just a good soaking rain.

    ReplyDelete