Truth.

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."

Ariel Durant

Friday, May 13, 2016

Voting with my feet and my dollars


My wife and I went into town today.  This new "trendy" coffee shop has opened up and we have been meaning to go by.  When we try a place for the first time, she usually goes in and looks at the menu, and just generally sees if it's a place we will be comfortable in. She does the reconnaissance because she is more interested in different places. If it were entirely up to me I'd only go to one little Southern country restaurant, ever. I don't get bored with it, but M does.



She was in there a long time. I was about to get out and go see what was happening, when she came back out.  Not our kind of place.  It transpired that  when she went in , she saw a sign that said "no guns allowed on premises." She turned around to walk out, and was intercepted by the owner, a middle aged lady , newly arrived from Tampa.  My wife explained to her that we don't patronize businesses that adopt this policy. The lady said that a lot of people came in and left because of that, but that she was opposed to "guns". My wife told her that was fine, but she shouldn't expect to stay in business in North Georgia for long. This is not Florida. So many people move up here from Florida and try to make it just like the place they lived down there. Sometimes they get away with it, sometimes they don't.




Ironically, we are going to two gun shows tomorrow.  In the morning, we will go to the one up here in North Georgia.  Then in the afternoon we will go to one in Middle Georgia. I think we will wind up staying down there overnight, because we will be worn out and it's a long drive back home from the second show.

If you have never been to a gun show, you ought to go.  It's a festive occasion, and one of the few environments where you can be sure you won't run into Moonbats or the Black Lives Matter bunch.   I have already spent twice my gun budget this month, mostly on ammo and magazines. The political front is looking bad, so I plan to overstock on everything. I remember the 1994 gun ban Clinton fobbed off on the country.  The way things look, I suggest heavy investment in ammunition, and magazines.  If there's a gun out there you have been wanting, but just never bought, now might be the time.





I always enjoy gun shows.  Most of the time, I see things I can't afford to buy but sometimes, just looking is pleasure enough.



 Even so, if I see an early war Japanese Type 99 rifle, in very good to excellent condition, that has the mum, I'm going to buy it.








HOUSTON TAKES ACTION ON SCHOOLS NAMED TO HONOR CONFEDERATES.
11 May 2016
HOUSTON -- The governing board of the biggest school district in Texas has voted to rename seven schools previously named for Confederate leaders.
The Houston school district board voted Thursday to strip the schools of the names of Confederate Generals Robert E. Lee, Albert Sidney Johnston and Stonewall Jackson; Confederate President Jefferson Davis; Confederate Postmaster General John H. Reagan; Sabine Pass commander Dick Dowling and Southern dialect author and Confederate veteran Sidney Lanier.
Among the changes, Lee High School will be named for longtime Houston educator Margaret Wisdom and Jackson Middle School will be named for Hispanic community activist Yolanda Black Navarro.
When it embarked on the renaming process, the district said it wanted names to represent its modern values and diversity, in accordance with its non-discrimination policies.

23 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. and has been, to a greater or lesser degree, as long as I've been up here. I can't remember anyone I really respected in authority except Sam Nunn.

      Delete

      Delete
  2. Unfortunately there's a lot of places in Nebraska with a no gun policy. Ironically our main furniture store allows it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are being foolish. It's unwise for a business to entangle itself in political machinations. I don't buy from anyone who offends me on issues like the Confederate Flag, Islam, illegal immigration, or similar issues. On the other hand I do buy products from companies who try to stand up to the moonbats and black extortionists. It's not for some politically correct "suit" to decide where I go or what I do. In Georgia, you can carry into any private business unless they publicly post notice they don't allow firearms on the premises. Anyone who does that in rural Georgia is going to be looking for another line of work before long.

      Delete
  3. Well have fun on your trip! Sounds like you will be busy. The rain has cleared out here... For now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be a fun weekend. We need to go somewhere and spend a night away from home anyway. It's humid and hot here today, but Saturday is supposed to be nice.

      Delete
  4. The Jap 99 Rifle has an interesting bi-pod or maybe it's a mono pod. Looks to be made from wire so it's light weight and probably stabilizes the rife well enough for most shots. Wonder if I could make some for my rifles. Your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The type 99 has a mono pod, but it's very flimsy and Japanese soldiers habitually took it off the rifle and threw it away. Sarco and Numerich both sell repro mono pods, winged anti-aircraft sights, and dust covers for the rifle at reasonable prices. I have one type 99 but the mum is ground off, and I have not replaced the mono-pod or dust cover because it's a "shooter."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never seem to notice anti gun signs, I must have no situational awareness. The gun shows here aren't very good in our opinion so we stay away unless we have nothing else to do... and that never happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Max, I haunt gun shows for a number of reasons. Although I am not actively seeking to fill gaps in my collection anymore, I do have a few things, like an unmodified Type 99, that I would buy if I found them. Gun shows are a good place for that. Also, I like to talk to people there, and get a feel for the general attitudes of the show attendees. They are generally people who have the same values I do, and I am interested in how they see "current events" and what they think of the future. It's also heartening to know that there are a lot of people out there like me. Since I don't mix much with humanity, and because I do watch MSM, I sometimes get the impression that everyone in the country is a follower of Hillary or just plain idiotic, or both. Another reason I brought the blog back is that I need to stay in touch with lucid, reasonable individuals for my own peace of mind. Otherwise I'd probably be working on my manifesto up here right now. ;-)

      Delete
  7. I inherited a type 99 from my Uncle. The mum is ground off, and it is missing the sight wings and dust cover. I was going to sell it on before my brother reminded me, my uncle was on occupation duty in Japan. I showed it to an *expert* at a show, and he pointed out the wear on the finish was consistent with being carried. A lot.It was made in 1941...Guess it is a keeper.
    I have been attending gun shows for going on 50 years... My Dad took me as a kid, and I have continued the tradition. Like you, I look at far more than I buy, but as a "gun crank", what a lovely way to spend a day.Lately I have been stocking up on ammo and reloading supplies. Saves money on shipping if nothing else.
    Dumb asses just do not realize that there is a serious gun culture out there, and we are not going to just let them stamp it out...About time for my annual reading of Unintended Consequences...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. J, I'm heartened by the big turn out for gun shows, and the quality of the individuals I meet there. Good, decent and sensible middle class people. Nothing like the Brady Bunch, Diane Feinstein, Barack Hussein and that crowd paint them.

      The Type 99 sounds good. I have never seen one with the sight wings or dust cover intact, as they were almost invariable discarded as useless weight by the soldiers the guns were issued to.

      I think because the paunchy, pasty faced elite in countries like Britain and Australia were able to largely disarm their population, our own politicians think they can do that here. But they will have to enforce a registration first, and many people in this county know what that means, so they won't comply.

      Delete
  8. If a business posted a sign like that here they would have NO customers. Boycott is a great tool. The people at gun shows are always polite and knowledgeable. Occasionally we have a table and it is always a fun weekend for us. We have a couple every year here in town. Have a great weekend, Harry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, I know of several businesses that tried the "no firearms on the premises" and went broke. One was the tire store I bought all my tires from for many years. The old man who owned it died, his son sold it to a chain. They lasted about 11 months before they dried up and blew away.

      I've never had a bad experience at a gun show and I have been to a great many in my life. Planned to go to two today, but only made it to one and got so worn out I couldn't do the drive over to the other town.

      Delete
  9. Harry running a BBQ stand I have a confederate flag tag ,a I love moonshine bumper sticker and Plaque that states No warning shots given. To my knowledge I have never offended any customer .I have been asked MANY time where I got the tag, can they try the shine and what gun do I carry . If you don't know your customer base stay out of business. Conservative are the quiet majority and they are getting louder. I am seeing grandma church lady's carrying pistols one told me she wasn't ready for heaven but hell had room if someone want to rob her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gary, I think you have pretty much hit the nail on the head. We have a lot of people who move here for the beauty of the mountains, but they don't realize that the people here are rural, conservative, and not very tolerant of things they feel are wrong. Those people cause a lot of bad feeling and trouble.

      Delete
  10. Hey Harry,

    Funny how criminals that have illegal guns don't fear 'gun free establishments' and carry guns in the establishments anyway.

    As per all the craziness happing. I give up. I stopped worrying about the problems and embrace the anarchy that more laws will create.

    Fourth of July is coming up and fireworks on Padre Island are illegal and in some of the nearby cities and towns, fireworks are illegal also. The skies will still be lite up with fireworks like AAA over Bagdad in January, 2003.

    Speeding in illegal and everyone speeds in their cars and trucks.

    I can go on and on.

    Every time the Senate, Congress or the White House makes a new law, mandate or whatever we find ways around it or just break it entirely.

    Any gun control will just be counterproductive and pointless. Murder is illegal and people will still murder each other every day.

    "The More Laws they Make. The more Anarchy they will create"

    I made that one up.

    I am not an anarchist but I do realize people are basically uncontrollable. The fewer laws we have and basic common sense laws against theft and what not are more easily enforced and respected.

    Societies with overreaching and rogue goverments always collapse in the end. History is littered with the corpses of empires.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I acknowledge that some basic, common sense laws are necessary to enable us to deal with crazies. But the way it is today. laws are made to enforce the political agendas of the minority on the majority. When people are forced to disobey nonsensical or unjust laws, they begin to lose respect for the system that generated those laws.

      Delete
    2. Hey Harry,

      Good line. I gotta remember this one "laws are made to enforce the political agendas of the minority on the majority"

      Delete
  11. Okay she doesn't like guns..does she like business? I always enjoy your posts....happy gun shows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fiona, I am frequently amazed at the people who don't realize that offending customers by trying to make them toe your cultural line is not going to help business. They are just completely out of touch with reality. Some of the advertisements you see on tv are revolting. When I see one that offends me, I never buy that companies products again.

      Delete
  12. Harry,

    I'm sure the business woman won't be in business long. Any time I see a no gun allowed symbol on a door, I refuse to shop, eat, or do business with them. Good for you and your wife not staying to eat at the coffee shop.

    Gun shows are the cats meow!!!

    We were at Cabela's this weekend, picked up 22 LR ammo. In the past there was a restriction on was hard to find. Cabela's had plenty, we purchased 300 rounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that stupid? You come to place where the populace is very conservative, very rural, and very touchy about their rights. Then you advertise yourself as someone who has no connection with that lifestyle, and you think people will patronize your business.

      I envy you loading up. I have a good supply of .22LR on hand, but I need more. At least, I want more. Midway has some Winchester on sale for $9.00 a box , but then they load shipping and handling on it to the point where it isn't a good buy.

      Delete