Truth.

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."

Ariel Durant

Monday, June 13, 2016

A break in the heat.


 It has been so hot and humid the last few days, that we have only been going outside in the early morning and the evening.

Although the Weather Channel has been calling for mid nineties here, it's been bumping up close to the 100 degree mark. The humidity has been very high.

Today we have cooler temperatures and a breeze, so in a few minute M and I are going to ride over to the lake and take our walk.

I am taking my camera in hopes of getting a picture of the water moccasin there for the blog. The last few times we went, there were so many people around that he wasn't on his log.  Shouldn't be many out there today though.


I listened to Hillary's speech in Cleveland today. Or, as much as I could before I started feeling nauseous.  She ranted and raved about guns.  Still doesn't get the difference between a fully automatic weapon and a semi-auto. She called the AR-15 an assault rifle. I think she doesn't really care about little details like that, as long as she can spew her venom and get bleats of approval from the Sheeple that make up her audiences.






Ordered some 12 gauge slugs and buckshot.  I have a good bit, but who knows?  These days it never hurts to have a little extra. Or a lot,.....



There are some good sales on different kinds of ammo right now. I have been wearing out the Fedex and UPS people. One of them came up here, saw the gate was closed and didn't leave one of my packages. The next day I left the gate open and he came up.  I told him next time, just leave it at the gate. He asked me why.  I said "you're about to find out."  He broke his rear view mirror off on a tree trying to back down to the turn around pad. I expect next time he will leave the package at the gate.





The new Off Grid is out.  Most of the survival magazines lately have been oriented towards disruptions and societal dislocation.  It wouldn't surprise me if they were timely in their subject matter.  I'm old enough to remember the "Long, Hot Summer of 1967."  With the furor over the elections, Obama trying to get in his last few edicts and diktats, and "Black Lives Matter" gearing up for some more free press. I wonder if this summer will be another interesting time to live in.

Trump is 100% right about stopping immigration from dangerous parts of the world until the federal bureaucracy can do better than it has been.  Absolutely right.








Thought for the Day.



20 comments:

  1. Glad you are having some cooler temps. Here the heat and humidity is just stifling. We had another 5 inches of rain last night. When I go outside, it is like walking into a sauna. My husband killed two copperheads last weekend. I just hate snakes. Enjoyed your cartoons. Jana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jana, my chickens keep the snakes off from the grounds around the buildings, but when I walk down the mountain to the gate I keep my eyes open. Especially near the gate itself, which has an undercut bank right next to the lock pole. I have been bitten by copperheads there twice.

      We have to lay low when it's really hot and humid outside. Not good for the old folks, you know. M walked around the lake today but I was feeling worn out and just sat in the car under a tree, listening to the radio.

      I get most of my cartoons from a friend , who sends me lots of good ones for the blog. I'm glad you enjoy them. I think they add a little color to things.

      Delete
  2. We have a slight break here today, too. Trying to "make hay" while it's not so hot, because it's supposed to go back up tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember it ever getting near 100 in early June before. Last winter was colder than usual, maybe this summer is going to even things up. I hope not. I can stand cold but heat just exhausts me.

      Delete
  3. Hey Harry,

    I went to Walmart. I got a full load of groceries, a 12 pack of beer, a full tank of gas and some extra 9mm.

    I find the cover the above magazine amusing. No woman in her right mind (nor her boyfriends mind) should be walking around in a white t-shirt with her chest sticking out during a riot or complete anarchy. That screams 'assult me' I know it is for sales of the magazine but it reminds me of a story I heard from a WW2 survivor in the Ukraine.

    This old woman was telling a story about how when the Nazi's evacuated her village and the area as the advancing Russian army was near her village. All the men and boys were either Russian partisians or were dead. Only the women and girls were left. The girls mother got her into bed in her nightgown and the mother cut her arm open with a knife and sprinkled blood all over her daughters face, pillow and blanket. A little while later some Russians started kicking in the doors and found the mother with her daughter and the mother said her daughter had 'The Pox' The Russians quickly left the house.
    That girl and her mother were the only ones that were not raped in the village that day.

    That story stuck with me as an example of how men's inhibitions can break down as society breaks down when there is complete lawlessness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't be standing around in a place like that period. Not unless I had a backpack full of ammo. Off Grid comes up with some pretty garish covers, but I expect it does help attract attention at the magazine rack. It's all about the buck, you know.

      I read a book about the Russians breaking into East Prussia and the Baltic states at the end of the war. Very ugly.

      Delete
  4. Isn't it great to be alive during such interesting times? Great view of the collapse.

    Just getting out of a wet cold snap right now. Looking forward to my outdoor projects. Still have one more boat to load on a trailer and get in the water. Also have to learn how to fly fish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can fly fish. My uncle bought all his nephews matching rods when we were teenagers. I never really got into fishing, but if I had to fish that is the method I would like to use.

      These are indeed interesting times. I am sure Big Pharma is happy because I know their sales of blood pressure medicine must be through the roof. I watch the news and I eat the pills like candy!

      Delete
  5. Hey Harry,

    I found an interview with Matt Bracken over on Alex Jone's channel. Now hold on. I don't wear tinfoil on my head nor am I worried about floride shrinking my underwear in the wash. I know Alex Jones can be 'nuttier than a fruitcake' at times but he does get some good interview's in. He has an interview with Matt Bracken on youtube. Heres the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB2vIa6jl1Y
    The interview is about halfway through the video. I only watched a few seconds of it, I will watch the rest later on tonight.
    Matt Bracken's one of the few people along with the blog 'Gates of Vienna, Western Rifle Shooters Association" and yourself Harry that the few that I will go out of my way to read or listen too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think about it after you watch it. If you feel like it's worth the time I'll go take a look.

      Alex Jones is not one of my favorite individuals but I'll still watch if it's got something worthwhile.

      Delete
    2. I watched that interview. It was pretty good. It was done with one of Alex Jone's associates as the interviewer and not himself. I go out of my way to read or listen to Matt Bracken because his compass is pretty damn accurate. I take in his opinion and others to formulate my own conclusions at the end of the day.

      Delete
    3. Ok. I am going to be up late tonight anyway and I will check it out. Thanks for the link, CBR.

      Delete
  6. Semi auto and automatic is the same short circuit in the brains of liberals that can't tell the difference between legal and illegal immigrants. Send us some of that heat, Harry. It has been only in the 50's with a north wind. Summer was two weeks ago, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. reality in their eyes is whatever they want it to be. I watched the Dems walk out of the "moment of silence" for the people killed in Orlando on the house floor, then start screaming and yelling. What a bunch of sleazes.

      Rolling thunder here today. Rains hard for awhile, then stops, then repeats the performance. Hot and humid.

      Delete
  7. If it's pushing close to 100 in your area, it pains me to think how hot it's getting outside the mountains and trees. Ick.
    The grocery store changed owners and they no longer carry magazines so I'm missing the last few recoils and off-grids. Think I better get a subscription going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can subscribe to both of those through Amazon and get them digitally if you have a Kindle. It's a real pain though, since Amazon frequently neglects to send the latest issue, and you have to go on the "help" function and get them to send you your magazine. They are not very reliable.

      Delete
  8. that wizard of oz sketch killed me, absolutely brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty accurate, too. The Hag thinks she is the anointed of God. I'd say she's the anointed of Satan.

      Delete
  9. Harry,

    How was your walk my friend? Any snakes waiting to have their picture taken? Thanks for the info., on the magazine, I'll have to look for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not bad. I got worn out though. Once you hit the half way point the only way back to the car is to walk the rest of the loop.

      No, that old Moccasin was not on his log. I'm going to get his picture come what may, because my younger brother says I just saw a black water snake and I didn't. I need the picture to prove it to him. ;-)

      Delete