Truth.

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."

Ariel Durant

Thursday, September 22, 2016

Anyone who believes this poll is not very bright. The natives are restless (again.)




First, it was one of those where you have to want to take it. It was not random. So everybody who hates guns got on there and said "I own one gazillion guns."  Anyone who would participate in such a survey and actually disclose how many guns they own is probably not making a positive contributution to the gene pool of the species.



This is an abbreviated version of the actual news segment. In the full length version, it is "revealed" that the vast majority of gun owners are "rural white males."  The implication being that there are hordes of dangerous hillbillies gearing up for the revolution out in the country side.




In this next clip, a whiny old man wants to know why the U.S. government can't just forceably collect all the guns. What Hillary has to say shows she doesn't know Jack about what happened in Australia, and still can't make the determination that "automatic" and "semi-automatic" are not synonymous.










Meanwhile, in Charlotte, N.C. the 13% segment of the population is again showing what an asset they are to the country.



This is getting to be routine now.  Doesn't even interest the news people overly much. I don't think the BLM will get away with acting out too long.  North Carolina is not Maryland.




13 Videos of the Violence in Charlotte


The above link goes to "The Wire". There are 13 short videos, raw footage, of what's going on in Charlotte. The one of the white guy being beaten, dragged and stripped in the parking garage by a black mob is particularly noteworthy.  I bet that guy doesn't go out in the city again without a gun and couple of spare magazines.



On the home front:


Went to town , still no gas.  This is strange since the Atlanta television stations are now saying that there is plenty of gas everywhere and the problems are over. This state of affairs has not reached my county yet.  My wife and I were in the camp store at a local state park, and some guy had his monstrous $200,000 RV rig out front, headed out of the campground. He was asking the person at the counter where he could get gas. Since none of the people working there had been able to find any locally, she wasn't able to tell him. He was not very pleasant about it. I suppose he figured this was all the fault of the 45 year old lady working for minimum wage behind the counter.



This week we have been going to different parks to have a picnic.  There are a lot of them within an hours drive, so it isn't a big logistical problem.  We get out, have some nice quiet time at a waterfall, or an overview, or at a lake or river, then we head home.  It helps break up the routine.



We still go out for breakfast or lunch once in awhile, but not so much as we used to. Some of the places I liked best have gone out of business and been replaced by "Zaxby's" or "Fatz" , chain restaurants with no atmosphere and no good food.  When we do eat out now, we usually go to one old cafe where the waitresses know us. We don't even have to order, they bring us our "usual" meal and drinks. They ask about the kids, and how we are enjoying both of us being retired.  I feel comfortable there.


It's getting on to Fall and I will be starting my reloading cycle once it gets cold. I have everything I need out there, and I am going to run up several hundred rounds each of 7.5 Swiss, 7.54 MAS, 7.7 Japanese, and 8X56R Hungarian this time around. It's good to sit out in the shop, work on the press, and listen to some fine old music.



The first pumpkins are out at the road side stalls. We usually buy a few and set them out on the porch this time of year. Nobody sees them but us,  still the wife likes to do that and they don't cost much.


At the higher elevations, the leaves are starting to change.  It's very fall like here on our mountain. The nights are cooler, and the humidity is much reduced.  It's a huge relief after this hot, humid summer.




I've been doing a lot of reading lately.  I read 13 Hours in Benghazi, the book about Benghazi that the movie was based on.  It wasn't a very good book, to tell the truth, too much background on all the participants and not enough about the actual events. But it did show that the movie was accurate.  Did you notice, when you saw it, that there were 26 CIA people in the compound, most of them military age men, and they all hid with the women in the "safe building."  I wondered why.  It turns out that it was just what it looked like, they were hiding. No cojones.  But there were two of them who came out and fought. One was a former Army infantryman who had done tours in the Sand Wars, and he was an asset and a stout heart. The other is barely mentioned in the book but he pulled his weight.  I gather they are not in the movie because they were both still working for the CIA when the book was written and the movie was made. But it did make me feel better  that at least two of them behaved like men.

I also learned from the book that there had been a similar incident in Benghazi during the Arab Israeli was of 1967.  When the Israeli Air Force annihilated the Syrian, Egyptian and Jordanian Air Forces on the ground, the Arabs couldn't face up to it. So Nasser and King Hussein cooked up a B.S. story about American navy aircraft doing all the dirty work from carriers. Unfortunately, the CIA got a tape of them planning it, but at first the Arabs all over the world believed the story. They probably still do, being what they are.

So the Libyans attacked the U.S. consular office in Benghazi. Mobs were about to overrun the place, and the people there had already written goodbye letters on the back of a painting, as they thought they were dead.



Fortunately for them, there was a small British Army force outside Benghazi, about 50 soldiers with some ferret armored cars. This time, our State Department did not sit around with it's thumb up it's collective rectum. The Secretary of State contacted the British Foreign Office, which quickly authorized the British troops to intervene. They fought their way into the city through the mob, and rescued the Americans.  Nothing like that happened in our time , though. Hillary and Obama did nothing at all. Nothing.



I started reading the Horatio Hornblower books when I was about 12. My dad had some of  those "Readers Digest Condensed Books" and one of them had three Hornblower books in it.

I always took the series in my footlocker when I went aboard ship for a float. You spend months aboard ship, and embarked troops don't have a lot to do.  I can't even begin to guess how many times I've read these. I'm interested in the Napoleonic Wars, and in the old sailing ships. I don't think any better books have ever been written. C.S. Forester knew his subject matter.

My second favorite series is written by Patrick  O'Brian.  If you saw "Master and Commander" that was one of his books, made into a movie with a great cast. 


They take place in the same time period, and follow a British naval officer through his career, as did the Hornblower series. There's a lot more humor in these books, and they are really good "escapism" reading. Both Forester and O'Brian are long dead now, but their books are as fresh and interesting as if they'd been written yesterday.




.22 LR has returned to our store shelves in the county, but the price is absurd. A box of 50 rounds that used to be $4.00 is now $10.00.  I'm not in any particular need, I have plenty on hand. I'm not going to buy anymore until the prices come down. It's nice to see it back in stock after so long a period of absence, even so.

Thought for the day:


Clint Eastwood can be somewhat course, but he hits the nail on the head.






42 comments:

  1. sadly, none of that surprises me.....but i'm doing my part. lost count at fifty, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all do what we can. Eventually this will come to a head and we'll finish it, one way or the other.

      Delete
  2. I agree... I like locally owned restaurants over the chains, although we almost never eat out. Too expensive for a family of five.

    It still seems fairly hot here. I think Saturday is supposed to hot almost 90. I'm planning a hike/run that day that is going to be fairly long so I just went and picked up some electrolyte pills to take with me just in case. I'm hoping it'll be a little cooler on the ridgelines though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since we don't go much out of our area, we aren't spending a lot on entertainment. So going to a movie, or out for a meal, is a big part of our routine now. My wife and I go out to walk somewhere almost every day, and that helps too.

      It has been cooler in the mountains but very hot down on the flatlands. Atlanta was over 90 yesterday. I hope your are going with some other people. Be really careful.

      Delete
  3. Hey Harry,

    (captaincrunch)


    I gotta jump to the riots in North Carolina first. I don't understand why police cant fire on looters and rioters. If I was the police commander I would have ordered sniper fire on the leaders (if any targets where available) and after multiple warnings, I would have had teams of officers fire in the crowds. Sometimes a massacre is a good thing.

    I think this country is going the way of Rhodesia and it will be a bloody mess.

    'Diversity equals Chaos'

    The media, morons and guns.

    I watch less fox news now. They are starting a downhill slide to stupidity like all the rest. I really don't care about their opinions or polls. Its all meaningless diatribe designed to fill up airtime and create sensasionalism in lieu of journalism.

    I read a lot of sci-fi books. I have noticed an increase in storylines about humans leaving Earth, colonizing other worlds and in some books, declaring independence from Earth.

    I wonder why:)

    Back to the riots in North Carolina.

    (warning a bad word)

    I once saw some documentary show on Viet Nam when a recording of some Army Sargent or someone who with a 'gritty personality' in the chain of command who was at a base somewhere that was under attack called in for an airstrike. He said 'sarcastically on radio after calling in for the airstrike 'Send in the Stuka's'

    The radioman on the other end said 'Whats the designation number on that' not knowing what a 'Stuka' was.
    The guy calling in the airstrike said 'God Damn JU-87's'

    That pretty much somes it up.

    'Send in the Stuka's

    If there was a squadron of Stuka's running indiscriminate bombing and strafing runs on crowds of morlocks and anarchists. They anarchy would stop.

    I don't have a problem with peaceful protesting. When looting, rioting begins, private property is destroyed and anarchy reigns supreme in the streets. Then its time to send in the Stuka's and mow down the morlocks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Minds Think Alike. I'm with you. Hans Ulrich Rudel could have solved these riots in short order. But alas, today people can break the law, destroy property, attack innocent people, and it's all "ok." They can show their asses in any way they like and get away with it, because the Alice in Wonderland people like Barrack Hussein and Shrillery are running the show.

    It really is serious when mobs of savages can gut the cities and attack people who have done nothing to them. There's a video making the rounds on youtube right now of some Goblins pulling a white woman out of a car and beating her up. Strangely, on the You Tube posting I looked at, the comments were virtually all in favor of the Goblins. The woman deserved it because "she white."

    People are going to have to shift for themselves these days. I'm not getting beaten up or stabbed by the Morlocks, you can be sure of that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Social engineering always seems to require a lot of twisting of the truth not to mention downright lying. And once again Hillary proves that she is not qualified to be president. It's hard to fathom why folks don't see that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to me that her supporters come from specific groups. Immigrants, because the Democrats break the law to facilitate their arrival and maintenance. Minorities, because the Democrats are the party of free rent, free money, free medical care, the party of "entitlement." Then there are the well off, suburban white people who have no contact with the real world. They live in "Pleasant Valley", never have any problems with crime, with finding a job, with money. They want everybody to be happy, and if giving them money makes them happy, they are all for it. How many times have you heard on television "I would be happy to pay more taxes to help the underprivileged" or words to that effect.

      Then there are the old school Republicans, who would do anything to defeat Trump, because he is an "outsider" and not subject to their rules. Hillary might not be from their party, but to these people it's more important to be a "team player" and protect their privileged position in life, than it is to adhere to any political creed.

      My only consolation is that if Clinton is elected, things will get so bad no one is safe. When the BLM crowd starts attacking suburbia, when bombs are going off in their schools and terrorists are running amok at the mall stabbing people, then they will have to lay in the bed they made.

      Delete
  6. I picked up 6 boxes of the CCi quiet loads yesterday for 3.27 a 50 box at wally. Glad you and the wife are enjoying yourselves. This year me and my wife have been tied to the house. we got the travel itch just cant seem to escape .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have looked at that but apparently it won't cycle a semi-auto and I figured I better stick to HP high velocity rounds. Let me know how that ammo works, I might get some for just pistol shooting if it will work.

      Delete
    2. Hey Harry,

      (captaincrunch)

      Subsonic rounds are great for bolt action, lever action or pump action .22's. I am partial to the Aguila subsonics. I know of people who have dispatched skunk or two that did not want to 'go away' when challenged.

      Delete
    3. They had standards for 3.47. The quiets are for a friends birthday he shoots a marlin bolt from his back porch and hunts squirrel's.

      Delete
  7. Have you read any of the Clive Cussler Books? I love Patrick Obriens books but have not read Horatio Hornblower. I will have to. We are lucky to have a very nice library in Brownsville, 12 miles away. One of the librarians is really wonderful and helpful.

    As to the riots, it amazes me that the powers that be seem to allow an excuse for such disrespectful behavior. Sad. ahh the liberal mindset. Keep well on your mountain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fiona, I have never heard of him. But if you think I would like them I will try to get the library to order me a few to check out. I am really reading a lot this summer, haven't been feeling so spry and reading is something I can do when I am low on energy.

      If you like Jack Aubrey you will like Horatio Hornblower. Try the first one and see what you think, I'd be interested in how you stack up the two authors.

      As long as it's in the inner city and just where the Goblins live that is destroyed, nothing will be done. But in Charlotte, they are blocking the freeways, hijacking trucks and looting their cargos, burning what they don't want. That isn't going to last long. North Carolina has a different view of how to handle problems like that than they have up North. I don't think the Mayor of Charlotte is going to tell the cops to "give them some space" so they can loot in comfort.

      Personally, I would modify CC's plan. I'd let the police load up with #8 birdshot and give looters a good dusting. Even those people can understand that.

      Delete
    2. Hey Harry,

      (captaincrunch)

      I can understand the No.8 Birdshot. Good idea, but I like to nip a weed in the bud. If the Police Chief in Charlette cannot find and airworthy JU-87 Stuka. An A-10 Warthog, Apache Gunship, or hell. Find a UH-1 Huey gunship with a 7.62 minigun.
      Make sure is ample video footage of the massacre and upload all of it within an hour on YouTube so every will get an idea to avoid riots and looting. Maybe the kids will then stay home and play video games instead of being looters.

      'Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and see to the lamentation of the women'
      Conan the Barbarian

      Delete
    3. I like bird shot as a deterrent. Filling the air with tiny pellets would surely get someone's attention. But , to each his own. I expect most people would go for #4 or for 00.

      Delete
  8. That tourist meme cracked me up. When my sister-in-law lived in the Lake of the Ozarks she felt that same way.

    We grew pumpkins this year. I was so careful when I processed them. Last year I had a small cut, the pumpkin hit it, and bam I had a spot that filled up with fluid. After going to urgent care I found out that pumpkins are related to ragweed. I was on some steriods for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't much care for tourists myself. That's one reason I spent a lot of money putting up a gate. They used to come up my long Jeep trail in their brand new four wheel drive vehicles, then they couldn't turn them around at the top of the mountain and I'd have to do it for them.

    I know you have a problem with allergies, but who would have thought a pumpkin would mess you up! That was the hard way to find out.

    Those apple tarts at your place sure looked good. I saw those, and I went and rooted around in the deep freezer to see if any were left from our last Omaha Steaks box, but none were. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Harry, it looks like Charlotte is no different from Furguson. Looks worse actually. If the mayor was going to do something drastic it would have happened by now.

    The "cracker" that took a beating was lucky to escape with his life, but he won't make the same mistake twice.

    Barry denigrated the US again this week at the UN. He also said "immigrants are good for America". Meanwhile, Reno Nevada is getting more refugees than any other state (go figure, it's a swing-state). --Troy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They brought in the National Guard and additional State Troopers. I have not seen anything on the news this morning about Charlotte. That doesn't mean nothing is going on there, though. I noticed that none of the major networks mentioned the fact that Atlanta is having riots again. It seems like there is a concerted effort to minimize or suppress anything negative right now. I noticed an article on Fox where Hillary Clinton was ranting and raving because Donald Trump had said the explosions in New York and New Jersey were bombs. Then in the same interview, she called them bombs herself, which made her look like an idiot. But CNN edited that part out. Fox got a copy and posted it on their news page.

      That guy was a complete fool. Going down into that part of the city , let alone unarmed. But the problem is that so many people just don't believe that they will be attacked at random for the crime of being white. Even the dullest leftard must be picking up on the fact that blacks don't welcome "Whitey" but all these college kids keep showing up and chanting BLM anyway. Reminds me of the Viet Nam era, where it was "cool" to burn flags and act the horses ass. Just a different "cause" now but the same uninformed, unthinking mentality.

      Obama is a stain , nothing more. The sooner that scumbag is a footnote in history, the better. Once he is out of office he can go back to Chicago and organize communities again. That's his level of competence, if he can even do that.

      Delete
  11. I'm love small town America. NEVER will we live in a large city again. even in MN we got issues now, we never had before. I see a few black folks here. I figure they are sick of all the crap too. If they don't have a car they don't stay long....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Minnesota is blessed with a large Somali population. The only industry in Somalia has been and remains banditry, on land and sea. So nice that the "Non governmental organizations" and the church have imported that disease bacillus to the U.S. If only we could follow the example of the Eastern European countries, who have never worried overly much about political correctness. We would have far fewer problems.

      Delete
  12. I prefer to eat at the local eateries here. We have a Zaxby's and they suck big time. Gas here is coming back, I have been topping off since Monday at I truck stop that always had gas and never raised the price, stayed a constant $1.89. Just like yourself, I'm waiting for some cooler temps and my presses will come to life again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As of yesterday (Friday) there was still no gas here and the price on the roadside signs at the stations was $2.39.

      I gather that some gas did get to town Friday afternoon but was immediately sold out.

      Sure wish I could get gas at $1.89. That's what it was here before all this with the pipeline started.

      Winter is a good time for reloading. You can't do much else with the cold and snow.

      Delete
  13. People are not aware of how Hitler and Stalin got the guns from citizens and what happened after that. It's scary.

    Let's just say we have plenty and always will.

    I'm praying the election goes the right way.

    I just read the comment above about a gate. We have rural mail and the county road stops at our cattle guard so we do not have a closed gate. We also have a dead end sign far from the house that gives every one a chance to turn around. Hubby got a "toy" with a green laser site. People USED to get lost down here a lot. Hubby sits in his chair watching tv late. When the lost people come, he points the laser through their windshield...just the laser. He is mightily entertained at how quickly they find the way out. The good news is word must have spread because the traffic has slowed immensely.

    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the beginning of my property, right at the foot of the mountain, my jeep trail has a deep gorge with a creek flowing through it on one side, and a steep rock wall on the other side. I put my gate there and it has been very effective. Serious bad guys could easily blow it up or just knock it down of course, but then I would know, when my motion detectors went off as they came up the mountain, that I had problems on the way. I can't see the gate from the house, so I have to rely on the motion detectors.

      I have a "ruby" laser that attaches to a rifle barrel. I have never had to use it for real yet, but you never know.

      "low information voters" are the bane of a Republic. They used to be called "the mob" in earlier days.

      Delete
  14. Did you see that clip of a guy driving through the protest? He was holding a handgun out his window and nobody messed with him.

    Did you know that it's illegal to carry a firearm during a protest and unrest in that state? Seems to me like the time when you'd really want one.

    Sorry you gas problem hasn't been sorted out.

    Expecting between 10,000 and 15,000 tourists for an ATV festival. My in-laws are up visiting and I don't think we'll be able to take them out to dinner. Picked up some nice steaks for the grill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't see that but I wish I had. I haven't read North Carolina's gun laws other than in a cursory fashion to make sure that when I carry over there, I am in compliance with their legal code. I'd never go into an area where the blacks were doing their thing, but if I had to I'd carry anyway. Seeing that idiot get beaten up in the parking lot reinforced my determination to never go down that road.

      Still no gas as of yesterday but it appears that the problem has been fixed with the pipeline so I hope we get some soon.

      The mountains are full of motorcycles right now, lots of clubs come up here from Atlanta. ATV's are not real popular here because even the off road trails tend to be steep and it's easy to get hurt on them. There isn't a lot of flat terrain to ride on.

      Delete
  15. Whaaaaa,why can't you just take away all those mean ol guns....Auuuggghhh!!!!! Because I will SHOOT anyone that tries you stupid old man. These dadblasted commie, ah , er Democrats forget that when tyranny comes knocking, we still get a vote. The only reason that the Government wants to disarm the citizenry, is because they are planning to do something to us that is so horrible, that we WILL resist. Cankles can stuff her Australian Solution where the sun don'y shine. (Harry, I am trying so hard to keep this family friendly. I am boiling)It seems they encourage the riots, they encourage the racisim, they are importing muslim savages to kill us, and they leave the borders open just in case they missed someone. And they have the nerve to hide behind their taxpayer funded Secret Service and tell me I should be disarmed. Not Bloody Likely.
    I tried some subsonic RWS 22s in a 10/22 They were noticably quieter than standard, most of the report was as the bolt cycled open (which they did flawlessly) I have some bolt action 22s, a couple with 24 inch barrels, I am anxious to try them in one of those. I also have shorts, and a couple boxes of CB caps. Sometimes quiet is good, no?
    I have a friend who lives way up a dirt road in Virginia. If the gate is open, well come on up. If it is shut, don't. He had some Jehovahs Witnesses open his gate and drive on up. He was not exactly happy to see them, and stopped them right before his turning circle. He made them back ALLLL the way down his steep and narrow driveway. To the best of my knowledge they have not returned. Or they may be stuck in the woods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That whiney old fool raised the hair on my neck with just the truculent tone of his voice, let alone the idiocy of what he was saying. Those pigs always want to force everybody else to toe their line, live the life style they themselves live. They are worse drones than bees.

      Everything you said is exactly, precisely true. Fox has a segment on some emails that were recently leaked between government officials, urging each other to expedite the importation of new "citizens" before the November election. These guys said in their emails, flat out, that they needed all the aliens they could import and get citizenship for because the election was going to be close. They know damn well they can dilute the voting base of the red states with their Hispanics, Moslems, Africans , etc and that's all they care about.

      I'm glad to hear the 10-22 cycled those "quiet" rounds. I didn't think they would. I will probably still stick with full power high velocity hollow points though, as I don't have to worry about the sound of shots up here.

      There's no turn around circle at my place. We started to do one, but there just wasn't anywhere to put the loop in without a lot of extra bulldozer work and extra cost. So I built three parking pads. But you have to back into a turn around spot to get out of any of them, and it isn't easy. After more than 30 years here I can do it, but the average Joe Blow in his brand new Bronco couldn't. It was a real pain in the rear until I put the gate up.

      Delete
  16. I found it interesting in the poll the Fox News report was talking about that they mentioned that 3% of the population supposedly owns all these firearms. 3%. Where have we heard that before?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fox has started putting up a lot of stupid, lefty stuff. I don't know what has gotten into them. They used to be staunch but no more.

      Delete
  17. G,day Harry,

    Please forgive my ignorance, why do you set out pumpkins on your front porch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sgt, I don't know about other places, but in Appalachia people decorate the front of their houses with squash, pumpkins and sheaves of corn in October. It's just a tradition, and one that is dying out as more and more people move here who have no ties with the area, I'm sorry to say.

      Delete
    2. it is harvest celebration decorating.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Harry, I am always interested in the traditions of countries and locations, it is always a shame when they start to die out.

      When I was a kid the Methodist church I went to celebrated harvest Sunday in spring and the whole front of the church was covered in a display of produce one year someone even brought a lamb along.

      Delete
    4. Deb, we used to really do it up right here. The court house square would be all decorated with hay, corn, squash, pumpkins, Indian corn. They don't do it anymore, but you will see , as you drive through the countryside, displays of harvest crops in front lawns and on porches. Wish more people still did it.

      Delete
    5. Sgt, lots of old American regional traditions are going away. TV has a way of homogenizing everyone. Kids don't stay in the country because there's no work.

      Sounds like yours was a similar festive time as ours. I like fall and the harvest displays are still a part of it for me, even if they are not as grandiose and not as common as they once were.

      Delete
  18. Glad to see you getting out and enjoying each others company. Those pumpkins look immense, it's a bit like harvest festival, I love the idea of having them for a display.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to put them on the porch during the first part of October, then the children would carve them into Jack O' Lanterns for Halloween. Nobody ever came to out house out in the woods trick or treating, of course, but the kids had a good time doing it and it felt like an appropriate Autumn activity.

      We try to take a lot of day trips, though the unavailability of gasoline this last week has cramped our style some.

      Delete
  19. Sorry, if you could delete the previous by me. It turns out that while the Baltimore Gazette used to be a real news source, it has since gone under and then resurrected by internet trolls with fake news stories. I apologize for not doing my due diligence before hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry about it, Ryan. That happens to everybody on the net. I've got to where I almost never use any stories unless I get them off a major MSM source or an online newspaper I know is legitimate. But I've still been fooled on occasion and had to update a post to correct it. No problem.

      Delete