Truth.

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."

Ariel Durant

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Sunday

Light rain has been falling since about eleven.  That's good, because we haven't had a drop of rain in 13 days and the dust has been terrible.



The old man who lives at the foot of the mountain called me this afternoon. He had been in town looking for gasoline this morning. He said Ingles got a load, but there were so many people trying to buy it that the police have closed off two lanes of the four lane highway in front of the station and are having to control traffic to keep the station open and prevent "incidents." He gave up and drove on back out here without getting any fuel.  I called him yesterday and told him what was going on when I found out, and he went into town, but wasn't able to find any gasoline. He says he has to go to the doctor tomorrow in Gainesville,  He's going into town again in the morning, but if he can't find any gas I will lend him enough to get over there and back from my 30 gallons in the shed.

My daughter called. She says they are having issues with gas in her city too. Mostly just limits on how much you can buy. This surprises me, because I thought only Georgia, Tennessee and North Carolina were affected by the pipeline problem. Maybe something else is going on I don't know about.
I texted her last night around midnight, told her to be sure they kept the car half full, but I didn't expect they would be having gasoline shortages yet, if at all.

1430 Update: Pipe line shut down is more significant than  initial news reports indicated.

What we know about the Pipe Line Shutdown  (Link)

Percy the Ferret tried to drag off one of the new kittens to his stash under the china cabinet. We moved all the kittens out to a box on the porch, but the mother cat brought them all back to the door. We put them in the lower level of the house in a box, but she dragged them all back upstairs. So now we are not sure if Percy wanted to play with the kitten, or eat it. I guess we will find out.




I was looking at the new Guns and Ammo magazine. There are all these pistols now, plastic fantastics, that I know zip about.  I never really liked plastic pistols.  Here are the guns I actually use, as opposed to just owning them.


The Walther P-38.  You can buy the post war model, the P-1, for under three hundred, or at least you could. It's a good pistol, single stack but that doesn't bother me. Magazines are available, if expensive. It is a gun for ball ammo.  I wouldn't count on it for hollow points or any of that.


The M1911A1. Heavy.  Throws a big bullet at low velocity. You hit somebody, he's not going to bother you anymore. Kicks pretty hard, and you can't limp wrist it. I don't carry mine much these days. With two spare loaded magazines, even in a good Galco Miami Classic rig, it's just too heavy.



Stoeger Luger in stainless. Single stack, 9mm.  It will run anything except UMC ammo so far, but it won't digest UMC 9mm at all.  Sometimes I carry it just for the hell of it.  It's such a classic weapon, that if I had to shoot a Goblin he should thank me for the honor of being shot with a Luger.


Beretta 92.  I collected these for a spell, and I have a nice selection.  Usually I carry an Onyx because the finish is sweat resistant. You can sweat right through your shoulder holster  when it's really hot and humid. The Beretta 92 fits my hand perfectly, is well balanced, and gives you a lot of rounds down range with two spare magazines.



The gun I carry most of the time now. The Browning HP comes in all sorts of configurations. In the 1980' s and 1990's they were a lot more common than they are now.  I have several different versions. The one above is the "Practical.' I usually carry an Argentine HP that I rebuilt myself as a carry gun.




The Gun Fairy doesn't visit me much these days, so I don't have a lot of new guns.  But I have enough old one's to keep me going for a good long while.

25 comments:

  1. I wonder if they are trying to downplay this break to prevent a run on gas stations? Right now I don't even know what the situation is around here. Doesn't help that 2 local stations are already closed while their tanks are being replaced. I think we get most of our fuel from Portland Maine where it's brought in by barge.

    I'm a fan of "heavy metal" myself. Really like my Ruger P-89. It's a big chunky gun, but functions all the time with anything I feed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been reading newspaper articles on line about the pipeline business. It is having effects much further than I had believed. Seems like they are shipping gasoline to New York State by tanker from the Gulf of Mexico. I guess they have to go through the Panama Canal and use smaller tankers.

      Our Governor is having advertisements run on the Atlanta radio stations telling people not go to top off their tanks and not to buy gasoline if they don't have an immediate need. I would imagine not one in a hundred would pay any attention to that. Quite the opposite, I'm sure that people who hear this are now going out to top off even if they weren't concerned with it before.

      I have never owned a Ruger semi-auto pistol, though my first gun was a Ruger Security Six and I really like the Ruger revolvers. I hear good things about Ruger semi-auto pistols, just never bumped into one at the right price at the right time.

      Delete
    2. Hey Harry,

      (captaincrunch)

      Them tankers coming from the Gulf of Mexico are probably coming in from my neck of the woods (They don't transit the Panama Canal) The barges leave whatever respective Texas or Louisiana ports and go around Florida and up the Atlantic coast.

      Maybe I should fill up a couple of 55 gallon drums of 'Texas finest 93 octane' and drive to Georgia and drop off some gas for you, then I would find someone with an FFL and transfer over a nice, brand new 'Gen 4 Plastic Glock 26 (9mm) with a stainless guide rod and spring. The Glock 26 kicks less than the Glock 19 for some reason? very accurate and you can carry it and be very comfortable.
      I wish I was rich, I would buy Glocks for many of my friends that carry steal hoglegs:)

      Delete
    3. captain - i sure hope i would make the short list of friends to buy a glock for!!! xoxoxo

      Delete
    4. CC, I've got one of the old original Glock 26 pistols but it just stays in the box.

      Went to town today, no gasoline. Read Fox News and there was a big article about the Governor of Georgia saying no one has called his office to complain about gas shortages so he isn't worried about it. I guess he doesn't get out much.

      Kymber, can you folks have one of those up there? I am hazy on your gun laws.

      Delete
    5. Hey Harry and Kymber,

      (captaincrunch)

      Yeah' Okay kymber. When I win the lottery or when someone stick's a pumpjack in the my backyard. You will get a Kymber.

      'Harry. Not using a Glock is like ignoring a cute and fuzzy ferret:(

      Delete
  2. No problems here in southern Maine so far and no mention of the pipeline break on the news either. I believe most of our fuel comes by barge from NJ. And there may be enough in reserve here to last out the repairs. I just filled a couple extra Jerry cans just in case though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went into town today, to the bank and the post office. There was no gas. Apparently the Ingles gas express got some on Sunday but sold out immediately.

      Delete
  3. I look for the pipeline fiasco to cause stations all over to jack their prices up at least a little. The natives out west are having a big protest about a pipeline, this shows why they may not be as great as they let on. Can you imagine what a terrorist with a little bit of explosives could do to our gas supply? They already know it; it's just a matter of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As has been well illustrated in Nigeria and Iraq, it's impossible to protect above ground pipe lines that stretch for hundreds of miles. Anybody who feels like it can blow one up. All you have to do is shoot some holes in it and then flick a match on it. In Nigeria they consistently blow themselves up trying to steal gas from pipelines by poking holes in them and standing under the leak with a bucket or can.

      My wife watched a local station today at around noon and some stations in Atlanta are selling as for $4.27 a gallon, when it was $1.87 a gallon Friday night. So much for no profiteering.

      Delete
  4. i heard about the leak on friday, filled all my cans and topped off all 4 vehicles too. i also keep a 100 gallon tank full, which i was planning on rotating this month anyway but i guess it'll last a little longer. i check the prices online every few hours as a gage of how the supply is going. only 3 or 4 cent rise so far.... here comes another damn helo buzzing my ao....anyway, we think alike as to pistols. have and carry much the same. i have a hi power fettish at he moment. my argentine is in deep cover, i carry an israeli surplus belgian, what a sweet shooter. put new springs in and slicked up the trigger, new pac grips due in tomorrow. keep your gas dry, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw some of those Israeli HP on offer at AIM. They looked to be in excellent shape. You did about the same to your Israeli gun that I did to my Argentinian pistol. I kept all the old parts so I can restore it to original condition, but right now it ha pachmeyer grips, as you do, and a few other upgrades.

      No gas in town again today. Atlanta is seeing some amazing price gouging. No word on when the pipe line will be fixed and things will be back to normal.

      Delete
  5. Gas shortages - Don't know if you were ever stationed in West Africa, specifically Lagos, Nigeria, but here comes a story.

    There was a gas shortage in 1991 or 1992, with tankers diverting the gasoline away from Lagos to one of the neighboring countries, where they could get more for it. Anyway, our company had a driver, and professional drivers in the 3rd world know where the black market gas is, even if ordinary people don't.

    The first few days you didn't see much change. The next few days saw a lessening of traffic. The next few days saw an almost total elimination of traffic, and a normal 3 hour journey round town took maybe 20 minutes. A few days more and the air began to clear up, and it made a huge difference in the place. A few days more, and the military (I guess) lowered the boom on the tankers, gas returned to Lagos, and the place soon became normal again - normal being nightmare traffic with thick pollution.

    But, for a few days, Lagos was pretty nice.

    An aside - if any of your civilian readers need to stay in the 3rd word for any length of time, they should get a driver and treat him well. Matthew, our guy, helped us out about a million times. We took his car and had a full overhaul done on it, essentially making it mechanically brand new. A few thousand bucks to our big company, but the world to him.

    - Charlie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Charlie,

      (captaincrunch)

      Cool story about what your company did for that driver. I believe in helping out the little guys. A little appreciation earns a ton of loyalty.

      Delete
    2. Charlie, I was never in Nigeria, but my wife was raised there, from the time she was elementary school age to middle school age, when they all moved to Niger.

      She went to a mission school for kids in Lagos, during the school year and then out to the bush clinic where her parents worked on holidays.

      It's always a good idea to have a local around , one who speaks the language and can "fix" things. My father in law had a fixer who basically became part of the family and lived at the mission compound for years. During the Biafran War, he was essential in keeping things under control with the Hausa, who were using their war with the Ibos as an excuse to loot and murder on a freelance basis.

      Even so my father in law kept gas, money, passports and visas buried in the back of the compound so if they had to haul ass in a moment's notice they could do so.

      Delete
  6. No issues in MN so far. All my running is local this week. i do have a couple gal in the shed for the mower, but It will end up in the tank if needed. Winter time we keep the car no lower then half.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't seem to be a big deal in your part of the country. It's starting to squeeze people here though. Most of the people in my county who work have to drive a long way to work. There's a massive parking lot where the four lane ends, and that's where people carpool to Atlanta. That's at least a two hundred mile round trip every day, depending on what part of ATL you work in.

      Delete
  7. Those last two pistols are timeless pieces of beauty IMO. I have been lusting after the Hi-Power's sister lately, the CZ 75. But of course I struggle with the price tag of around $650. --Troy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Troy, I have a mat black CZ-75B. Back years ago, when I was working at the gun store, we got two in and I bought one while the other part time guy bought the other. I bought some extra CZ mags, and it's been a safe queen ever since. I don't think I actually even fired the thing. It's a nice pistol, good in the hand, and CZ has been around forever, they have an excellent rep.

      I can't believe the price of guns today. If I were buying guns today, I would probably have one .45 ACP M1911 and that would be it. I was collecting when prices for guns and ammo made some sense.

      Delete
  8. Got to agree with you on the plastic pistols...My current favorite is an old stainless S & W 9 that I can use as a boat anchor should the need arise. The mass makes it shoot real easy though and it's more accurate than I can shoot it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Stainless S&W pistols. I only have a couple, as I never really collected S&W semi-autos, the ones I got came into the shop and I got them cheap. I have a nice little S&W semi-auto, don't remember the nomenclature but it is a 9mm, small, with pale whitish rubber grips. Got it for the wife, but she didn't like having to rack the slide and stuck with a revolver.

      Delete
  9. I've heard nothing of these gas shortages, and although it won't affect me it does make me think I should have some stored here just in case!
    As for the pistols I used to be big into airs oft gums and had loads of different pistols. A up coma t always fitted me well when I was a teenager bug Ive never fired a real pistol.
    maybe one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev, I just saw this, about four months after you left the comment. If you have never fired a real pistol, you have to come to the states some day. I will fix that in a hurry.

      Delete
  10. This is the first I've heard of the gas problem. I filled up yesterday here with no issues, so it doesn't seem to have hit our region so far. I will have to make sure I keep half a tank though, especially with the commute I have to town for work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, I got your comment on the gas shortage, I just got it four months late!

      Delete