Truth.

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."

Ariel Durant

Friday, April 21, 2017

Updated 22 Apr 17 10:00 a.m. X files season 11. Shooting up the "Bouncy House" down in ATL. A little Pink Floyd.


  In 1999, a friend at my wife's school gave us two roosters and three hens. These were English Fighting Chickens.  She didn't "fight" them. She raised them for food and eggs.

Cock Fights are still a big deal up here, though they are illegal. It was pretty much stamped out in  North Georgia in the late eighties, until the Hispanics starting flooding in to work in Hall county in the chicken plants. Cock fighting was big in Mexico, and the Mexicans would pile 10 people into a beat up old car and drive across the state line to  North Carolina  to go to these things. That brought it back to North Georgia.  You'd drive down a road, and see a big open space next to a house, with lots of little wire enclosures, and little tin sun shades, and you'd know you were looking at someone in that business.

The upshot was that you could always get that breed called "English Fighting Chickens." What the real breed name might be I don't know. That's just the Appalachian name for them.

Our  two hens raised several clutches of  chicks.  Over the years, chickens would just come wandering into our place and join the flock. I never figured out where they were coming from.  Once even a peacock came in and stayed for awhile.  Eventually, a black bantee hen showed up, and she had lots of batches of chicks.  So now, instead of English Fighting Chickens, we have smallish chickens that are brown, black, white and every mix you can imagine.







Enter the Hay Hay's into this serene picture.  My daughter went into a pet shop where she lives. Two chicks were in there in the "snake food" tank.  My daughter bought them, and started raising them in her apartment. Not an ideal situation. She brought them down here.  They started out small but now they are almost twice the size of our other chickens. That wasn't a problem until recently, when the Hay Hay's have started beating up the smaller chickens.  My wife wants me to build a chicken pen just for them. I guess I'll have to put something up.   Why my daughter named these gargantuan white chickens "Hay Hay's" I don't know. Must be a good story behind it.

Back in the Day:



Spring is when there used to be "Blogfests" up here.  People who read each other's blogs would all get together at Helen, Georgia. People came long distances to attend.  Some camped out, some stayed in motels. It was really interesting to meet the people you had been communicating with. But for some reason, it just died out and I haven't been to one in at least 8 years now. I think with Skype and being able to embed videos in your blog, the motivation just isn't there now.  Too bad, it was a lot of fun. It was all older people, but even so there were some interesting get togethers. Most of these folks were survivalists, and there was a lot of bartering, gun trading, that kind of thing. You could learn a whole lot from a few days at one of these meetings.


Gunned down in the bouncy house. Atlanta is a bad place .


My wife and I watch the Atlanta news on local affiliates each morning, just around dawn. The first five minutes of the news is who got murdered last night, who got car jacked, etc. I don't know why they always put that stuff first.

Today the lead story was about a 3 year old , a 5 year old and a young  mother all being gunned down yesterday. There was a children's party, and the parents had one of those little "blow up" houses the kids get in and bounce around in.  The local gang, apparently acting in the belief that one of the neighbors had "snitched" on them, drove up and riddled the bouncy house. They also riddled the young mother and the two kids.


Here's the sad thing though. This happened in front of a goodly crowd of grandparents, mom's, and older siblings. Everybody saw the vehicle and the shooters. But , "nobody saw nothing."  The police are pleading for witnesses to step forward.



 But those people know if they do, they'll have to testify in open court. And then, they will get a visit from people like those in the picture above. So who is going to bell the cat?


On a less depressing subject:




The new issue of American Survival Guide has an article on protecting yourself from carjacking. Carjacking is the national sport in Atlanta. It happens every day. If the driver of the vehicle is lucky, they just get jerked out of the car. But more and more often, the carjackers are just shooting the drivers in the head. A lot of them do this professionally, have long records, and they aren't anxious to go back to jail. They don't leave witnesses. They prefer to attack women who are driving expensive cars. The worst thing you could possibly do is get into the wrong part of Atlanta in a luxury car or SUV, and stop for gas. You do  that, you're gone.  The Paki's running the gas stations will have erased the security tapes by the time the cops come to clean up the mess. They know what happens to gas stations that give the police security tapes.

There's a big article on knives. I don't understand the fascination with field knives. You can go to blogs written by younger guys and there will be a discussion of what kind of fighting knife or field knife to carry that has 43 comments. All the magazines like Recoil, Off Grid, American Survival Guide carry "shopping lists" of knives, reviews of knives, articles about knives. What am I missing here. I have a sheath buck knife I carried in the Marines. I have a U.S. Navy survival knife of the type they issued to aviators in the seventies, and then I have a bunch of cheap sheath knives I bought for trading. These are all good knives, they get the job done. Why would I need a two hundred dollar , hand forged, blessed by a wizard knife?



Bug out check lists are back in vogue, as are articles on bug out vehicles. I'm "bugging in" come the day, but I still read the articles to see if  there's anything my two adult kids are missing. They'll have to bug out when the hot summer comes and the inner city crowd decides to burn that Northern city down.

Walking with Cats.



I walked down the mountain a little while ago. Had a letter I wanted to get out.  I made the trip down ok, but nearly didn't make it back. It's way more humid than it has been, and warmer. It didn't help that I had to carry two cats half way back. I can't stop the cats from coming down the trail, and two of the "dwarf" cats decided to go. But they are very short legged, and pooped out. Couldn't leave them, so I had to haul them back up the mountain. Nearly finished me off.

If you want a classic weapon and have lots of disposable income:


If anybody wants to spend a lot of money, Classic Arms in North Carolina just got in some M1903 Springfields. They are going to start offering them today. Nice rifles, and they chamber 30-06 so you should always be able to find ammo.


These guns are the 1903A3 variants. Classic Arms apparently bought out the collection from an estate sale. They say the guns are all in excellent condition, and that they all came from the CMP. (Civilian Marksmanship Program.) If you aren't familiar with CMP, you can buy surplus weapons from the  government  through them if you go through all the hoops and wickets. It's easy for veterans, harder for civilians.

I have two of the Springfields, but mine are the more desirable M1903 variants. I bought them thirty years ago when they were affordable.



Just so everybody knows,  there was a heat  treating problem with some of the low serial number guns. There are all sorts of wild stories about how big a problem this is. Below is a link to the best researched article on the topic I know of.  I bought guns that were not in the low serial number range, as I like my face as it is and don't want it modified by a receiver explosion. But who knows? Everybody will have to decide that one for themselves.

A paper on the heat treatment problem for low serial number M1903 rifles.



Thought for the Day:



Does this video clip of Germany in 1919 remind you of anything?






For X Files Fans: Update on Season 11



LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – April 17, 2017:

 Mulder and Scully’s search for the truth will continue in a new series of Fox’s hit sci-fi show “The X-Files,” the network said Thursday, a year after the show was revived.

“The X-Files” will return in the fall with 10 new episodes that will see fictional FBI agents Fox Mulder (David Duchovny) and Dana Scully (Gillian Anderson) investigating cases involving unexplained and often extraterrestrial cases.

The series, which ran between 1993 and 2002, was rebooted with a six-episode run last year, reuniting Mulder and Scully as they found themselves once again chasing government cover-ups, monsters, mysterious objects in the sky and their son, William.

The revival drew nearly 16 million viewers, said 20th Century Fox Television, a unit of Twenty-First Century Fox Inc .

The show drew a devoted cult fan base with its questioning of government secrets and the constant search for the truth.

Show creator Chris Carter told Reuters last year that “The X-Files” has become even more relevant in the present age where conspiracy theories still run rife on the internet and UFOs still perplex people.


A little Pink Floyd

34 comments:

  1. the mere sight of the bloods makes me want to open up on them with everything i have. as long as they are killing each other though i'll have to restrain myself. its up to their own kind to fight them, why they don't is beyond me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are the same type I had my unpleasant experience with in Chattanooga. It pretty well caused me to decide not to go back there. I think the black community is powerless against them because anyone who stands up to them gets dead.

      Delete
  2. I've never yet needed ANY kind of knife that Old Hickory doesn't sell for under $10.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess if you have money to burn it's ok to spend it on fancy knives. Otherwise, if it doesn't break in your hand and you are comfortable with it, seems good enough to me. My buck sheath knife is 43 years old and it has seen some hard use, but it's still going strong.

      Delete
  3. Knives. My thoughts. Just like anything it's a class/ coolness factor. Look at my shiny swat ninja urban socom death slicer. Also for a lot of people even fairy expensive knives at under $200 fall in the discretionary purchase price range where a 2k custom 1911 doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if you ever saw it, but way back years ago, A&E network did a six part series called "Foot Soldier". It looked at warriors/soldiers from the Dark Ages through today.

      The Segment on the Vikings had a great song called "Tremble at my Big Bad Sword." It was a mild parody of the Viking obsession with blades. Maybe you have some Scandinavian blood in you, Ryan. :-)

      I guess it's a matter of what your heart desires. I spend more than I should on weapons, and my obsession with the MP 40 is about to cost me a lot more. That purchase I see as reasonable and justifiable, though it will cost me just over a grand. HOWEVER, I would stroke out and collapse if forced to pay more than about forty dollars for a knife.

      Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

      Don't forget to spell my real name right in your will now....

      Delete
  4. I have always loved knives, especially with Damascus blades. Kind of weird, huh? Did you know that Florida and Oregon are the only states where switchblades are legal? I am dismayed about what you said about the gang situation....really had no idea since we are not exposed to that stuff here. Must be getting really bad in the cities. What a bunch of skinny, runty guys. Jeff Sessions said he would start rounding them up....that should be interesting to watch. You have too many chickens, Harry. Those last three bullies should go into the pot, I'm thinking. Unless you are saving them for survival food, LOL. I see where Trump says the Dreamers can stay in the USA....most of them hate us, waving their Mexican flags and all. Send them and their parents back where they came from, I say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You'd like Japan,Tewshooz.I got two beautiful samurai swords while I was stationed there. My katana has a nick in the blade where a party at the bachelor officers quarters at Camp Foster got out of hand and degenerated into a drunken mass sword fight.

    I do have too many chickens and I ought to eat some of them, but it's a big pain to kill them and then butcher them. It's easier to just buy chicken ready to cook when we go to town.

    I thought we were deporting all the wet backs, regardless. They are rounding them up in Georgia, that's for sure. There won't be any sanctuary cities here. The cities are all run by blacks and they don't like Hispanics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Harry,

    (captaincrunch)

    The Mexicans gang members in my part of Texas are fairly tame compared to the morlocks in the pics.
    The can be aggressive and stuff does happen but not the scale that you would find in the cities. Dallas, Austin, San Antonio and Houston are bad but Texas is big, big state with lots of out of the way places and few thugs.

    A great many years ago I was at a truckstop in Van Horn, Texas (far West Texas) and four morlocks that were passengers on a Greyhound Bus were causing a ruckus. The bus driver
    called the Sheriff's dept and the morlocks were picked up in a far out west hick town. I'm sure things did not go to well for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best way to avoid these subhumans is to avoid their territory. If you live in a city that's just about impossible to do. Eventually, you will run into them on the road, or in a parking lot, something like that. It's just a matter of time. These days, as the gangs branch out into smaller cities and even towns, nobody is really safe. We certainly aren't here and this is still a rural area. The good old days of simple solutions with the gangs are long gone. Too many moonbats who have never seen a gang banger in real life, and think they are just "underprivileged minority youth." To many left wing politicians, too many snowflakes with cellphone cameras.

      Delete
  7. I've never yet needed ANY kind of knife that Old Hickory doesn't sell for under $10.
    Heh. I like that one...

    My 1903 was the A3 model. No worries about the heat-treating with the A3s. Mine was so nice I sold it, because I wanted a scope on it and didn't want to drill an untouched one. I'll probably buy that Ruger guide gun so I'll still have a bolt-action 30-06.
    - Charlie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlie, I like the sights on the M1903 better than those on the M1903A3. I also liked the fact that all the parts on the original 1903 models were milled, and the A3 version had stamped parts. However, I think I am in the minority on the sights, as almost everybody I know who owns both versions prefer the A3.

      I'm glad you didn't have your A3 dripped and tapped for a scope. The original guns, in original condition, are getting very very rare, because so many have been sporterized like that. I have an ongoing project here restoring a Type 99 Arisaka that was really butchered in the 1950's.

      I've seen the Ruger you mentioned in magazines, but have never seen one "in the flesh." They have a good reputation.

      Delete
  8. Definitely an X Files fan here, so I'l watch out for it. But, will probably only have it on TV here a year after you... :(

    Maybe your daughter called the chickens Hay Hays because that's what she thought when she saw them (Hay, hay - I guess I'll have to save these two too...;) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can see the X files sooner than that. Did you get to see the six episodes of season 10? They were pretty good. I like the fact that they brought all those original actors back, it's as if the show was never off.

      Next time I talk to E on the phone I'll ask her about the Hay Hay's. You may well be right.

      Delete
  9. My lovely wife and I travel too much to collect critters. One of my cousins wanted to give us her ducks. We told her we'd just turn them into meat and fill the freezer. Not what she wanted for her little darlings. That's fine.

    I can't understand the knife cult either. My old cheapos keep on doing the job. Once I met a British guy who was on a diving vacation in FL. He was all excited to show me his dive knife. It was nice enough, but I didn't understand why he was so excited. Turns out, in England, that knife was illegal six ways from Sunday.

    Carjacking is getting nastier. I'm a big guy driving cheap or weird vehicles so not the normal target. One concern about my wife's little car is that it has a tiny gas tank. After 300 miles I'm looking for a gas station. The more you have to stop, the more often you are in danger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have the animals to take care of, and now, we have the problem of burglary. If you go off and leave your house for any amount of time you may come back to find you've been stripped of everything with resale value at the Pendergrass flea market. My guns are in safes the bad guys couldn't carry off or get into, but from what I hear, if they get into a place and get angry, they trash it mightily or just burn it down. Better to be here.

      I guess the knife thing is like Ryan said. If that's what you are interested in, then spending a few hundred on a knife you really covet is ok. I'm not that interested in knives so my less expensive versions suit me well.

      I understand that after the British essentially curtailed gun ownership, crimes committed with blades went up, so now they have a problem with "knife and sword crime." If they pick up the blades, they'll soon have a problem with "rolling pin and cricket bat crime."

      Carjacking is an every day event down in ATL. There are some parts of the city that are not that bad, but there are some virtual no go zones down there too. If you don't know where they are, you can get off the freeway and never be seen again.

      Somewhere on the blog, I posted a video taken when an ancient white lady got lost, wound up in one of those places at a gas station. About 20 teenagers attacked her, and some black guy that was there fought them off. He tried to take her inside the gas station, but the Paki owner had locked the doors and wouldn't let them in. Then the teens came at them again,and the guy whaled them, got the old lady in her car and got her driving off (she never had a clue what was going on, just stared about vacantly). What a hellish place.

      Delete
    2. An eon ago, when I was a kid on Long Island we all knew to lock the car doors and roll up the windows when driving thru Harlem, NY. Those days were tame compared to now. What the heck happened to my country?

      Delete
    3. I've never had a problem leaving my place empty for the winter. There are people who keep an eye on it, but that's hit or miss. Maybe the unplowed driveway is enough to keep most people out? I figure if it's not safe to leave it alone during normal times, it's going to be a huge target when things get bad.

      One year for a joke I left a full sized cardboard cutout of me in the kitchen. My son-in-law came to borrow a tool and almost had a heart attack.

      There are places where I don't stop for gas right off. I drive by and scope the place out first. If it looks Okay or isn't being actively robbed, then I drive around the block and pull in.

      Delete
    4. Tewshooz, too much concern about "minorities rights" instead of making sure everybody got the same rights, regardless of ethnicity. Too many liberal judges, too many laws that make it almost impossible to prove anything but an open and shut case, so the cops don't bother. Too much multicultural mind poison. Even though I'm not religious, I think the federal governments war on the Christian religion has had disastrous results. Unrestrained immigration has sure not helped anything.

      Delete
    5. Sixbears, my main problem with going anywhere is the animals. I could put put food for the dogs and cats, but the chickens would eat it all the first night. The ferrets could go along with me, they're used to being indoors.

      I try to never get below half a tank when I am out away from the place, so I don't get into a position where I have to take chances on gas stations. I always fill up before I get into a city.

      Delete
    6. There is a website called 'House Carers" that match people who house/animal sit with people wanting to leave home on a trip or whatever. You put out your free ad about where you live and people get back to you. At first you communicate thru the website so you remain anon. When we went to Alaska for 3 weeks, we had a great lady drive from Maryland to stay at our place. It is a free service, cause there are lots of ladies that don't feel safe in motels and want to see different parts of the country. We showed her how to look after the sheep and chickens and cats, stocked the fridge and took off. It was great. We gave her some cash for gas when we got back. We used this website twice. It is worldwide.

      Delete
    7. I guess I am kind of odd about mixing with people. I have been here since 1986, and in all that time, other than immediate family members, the only people who have come up here to the mountain top have been family members, people brought by my kids, the gas truck driver, or specialists that I needed to do things I can't do, like install satellite gear , plumbers, the well guy. I don't think I would ever feel comfortable just driving off and leaving a stranger in my place. For one thing, I'm kind of closed mouthed about some of the equipment and supplies I have here and wouldn't want to have someone I didn't know poking around.

      I guess I am fated to stay here on the mountain top til I die. Unless maybe the kids come back to live here, and if that happens I'm buying a truck / camper rig and doing some real traveling.

      Have I told you this story? If I have, sorry.

      Years ago, when I was doing accounting work for and oil and gas company, my boss decided I should get a notary public seal. So I went to the courthouse, and they gave me the paper work. Now, I'd been living here for two decades. But the paperwork said you had to get two people who knew you well enough to vouch for the fact that you had lived here five years. I didn't know anybody well enough for that.

      Delete
    8. That's funny, Harry. We are in the same boat when it comes to personal references and we have been here 23 years. I guess we are pretty reclusive, too. Sure like animals a lot more than people; present company excepted, of course. ;-)

      Delete
    9. Well, I think it's a function of having everything you need to be happy up on your own land. And there's also the fact that if you get tied up with neighbors, you get involved in their affairs. I have trouble enough tending to my own business. I know not everybody is like that. Kymber and J live on their little island up in Canada, but they are very active socially in that small community. It just depends on your personality.

      I tend to be really easily irritated, I'm not a very tactful person, I'm not patient. I've been that way for more than thirty years now and I'm not going to change, so I just get along better up here in the woods.

      Like you, I feel comfortable with my animals. I guess it takes all kinds, as people used to say.

      Delete
  10. I've gone through the gamut on knives. Have been given a couple of nice bucks, often carry the Marble knife that my Dad carried in the Pacific in WW II, still have is original sheath, but had a custom sheath made for it so I could save the original. Still has his I.D. number on the sheath. I've also spent some goodly $$ on knives, just a couple but I was curious. Liked what I received, who knows if they're worth the $$ but they are very much heftier that the Bucks, Kbars and Marbles. I've purchased one custom 'Bushcraft' knife that is quite nice and does the jobs it is intended for very well. I was curious about the so called 'Scandi' grind. Turns out that sucker is super sharp and works as advertised to craft wood with and functions much better than the Bucks and Marble, I think in part because the Bucks et al. are more intended for skinning game and they do that very well, but the other knives are intended for heavy work with wood, a.k.a. 'Bushcrafting' or what we used to call, 'Scoutcraft'. Particularly the idea of 'batoning' wood that the lighter knives just don't do as well. But folks do like their custom knives. I was able to purchase a couple of knives back in the Eighties from a well known knife maker up here in the PNW. Gave one of them to my outfitter one year and a couple of years ago when things got tight around here I looked to sell the other. Well, I'd paid $80 for it, it sold for my asking price of $450 and I probably could have gotten more. I didn't complain none. Do miss it once in a while 'cause it was kinda my favorite and had some nice memories attached to it, but...family comes first don't you know. Lastly, I've bought some Solingen blanks and 'made' my own, kinda fun and they work ok, but not as well as the custom ones made principally from D2 tool steel. The only thing that makes me think twice is using them to dig up roots if needed. Don't mind using the Kbar for that, do hesitate with the others, of course if I was in a truly life or death scenario, it probably wouldn't even cross my mind. Well, hope you don't mind me adding my $0.02.

    I was wondering if you'd share your thoughts sometime on greenhouses as being useful in a SHTF scenario. If you've already done so and I missed it, please accept my apologies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You clearly know a lot more about knives than I do, Tim. Being able to make your own is impressive. It's also a tremendous skill for bad times when it would leave you well set up.

      Sometimes, you have to let things go you'd rather not, when money gets short. I guess we've all been there and done that. As you say, people have to come before possessions.

      We have a "plant room" that's built on to one side of our house. It's all glass, and I suppose we could try to grow food in it, but it would have to be heated in winter. If there was no electricity and I had to use propane to do that, I'd be out of luck.

      I'm just now starting back into gardening after many, many years of not doing it. But I know where you could find the answer to your question on Green Houses. There's a British guy named Kev Alviti at "An English Homestead" who knows about everything there is to know on that issue. There's also a Canadian woman named Kymber who is very knowledgeable about growing food in cold climates, she is at " Framboise Manor", and I would bet she could help with that. Both those blogs are on the blog roll. Scroll just about down to the bottom of my blog and you'll find my blog roll.

      I thought that was a great comment and I appreciate you taking the time to write it. I hope you'll comment some more.

      Delete
    2. Harry, thank you for the compliment and more especially for the information on greenhouses. I will definitely checking out your suggestions. I have stumbled upon some YouTube videos on greenhouses that were pretty interesting. I think they were done by Mormons using Visqueen hoop houses and heating with geothermal set ups which I thought was pretty neat. They didn't have a hot spring or anything like that, just dug down some and put in tubing. I suppose if you're soil is rocky that would be problematic. I think a combination of that technique plus a wood stove might be doable. We live in a place where valley fog in the winter is problematic, sometimes going 60 plus days without seeing the sun so we have to consider supplemental lighting which as you indicated if there is no electricity would be a no go. So, I think you're hothouse method to get a head start on spring sets is pretty practical and probably what we'll end up with. Wind power isn't much of an option either as we can have 2+ weeks of air stagnation during those periods of fog. Thanks again for your information and for keeping up the blog. It's one of my daily visits.

      Delete
    3. Tim, I know Kev the Brit has posted a huge amount of information on what we would call kitchen gardening, and I remember seeing some beds of plants he had covered with a type of fabric, like little tents over the plants. I was using our green house as a tool room until just recently.

      In a pinch, I do have a small wood burning stove I could move out there, and I sure have enough wood to keep a small city in fuel for a year. It's something to think about.

      Glad you enjoy the blog. I appreciate the interaction with like minded people, keeps me from getting isolated up here on the mountain top!

      Delete
  11. I inherited a really nice CMP 03A3 from my dad. He had never cleaned the cosmoline off of it yet. I have shot it a couple times, but I like my 1917 better. And as far as that goes I have a couple Enfields I shoot far more often. I picked up a sporterized "kit" of a Smith Corona 03A3. It is a lot easier finding Remington parts I have to tell you. I may just build it up as a shooter and be done with it.
    Never really got into fancy knives, I have a few that work OK for me. I carry a little Buck penknife everyday. (A gentleman is not "dressed" without one) I was given some very old files, and a couple are destined to be knife making experiments. They are worn out, but have a blade shape to start with. Some day when I have a spare moment...

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was a nice acquisition. The P17 and Enfields are nice guns as well. I get a lot of parts from Numerich, Springfield Sporters (not so much these days, but they still exist) and Sarco. Maybe one of them can help you out on restoring the Smith Corona. I'm just restoring the Arisaka Type 99 to it's original configuration as a shooter. I've used some modern "reproduction" parts on it, so I could never sell it as a classic collectible, but I want it to be as near to the original as I can manage.

    I'm surprised, you are the second person tonight who has mentioned making their own knives. I wouldn't know where to start, but you would have to have some kind of forge, wouldn't you? Of course, being in the line you are in I imagine your workshop is already well equipped.

    ReplyDelete
  13. the entire issue with gangs just makes me shake my head. Glad to see the new attorney general is making more moves to crack down on all the thugs. Especially that MS 13. They are really bad in Charlotte. But as you mentioned...you can't turn on any sort of news anymore that does not start off with atleast murder. We have started watching LIVE PD on Friday and Saturday nights...if you have A & E channel go check it out, its a really neat show.

    Making your own knives would be super cool. like most everyone else we have gone through a gamut as well. The boys have their little pocket knives and Senior and I both of course have several. I like having a good knife handy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were no gangs in North Georgia until about 1988 or so. There was a massive influx of Hispanics in Hall county, as the five big poultry companies imported thousands of Mexicans to break the strikes in the chicken plants. The people who came to work weren't that bad, but they brought their culture with them, and that included gangs. We had problems with the gangs then, but in the last few years, MS13 has been moving into the North Georgia area, centered in Gainesville, Ga and they are a whole different magnitude of trouble. Holder and Lynch did nothing, and I mean, NOTHING to try to address the problem of gangs in this state. But the new administration has been actively pursuing the gangs, and in particular MS13. President Trump has been in office less than 100 days, and in so many ways, life is already better. I never felt that hopeful or confident under either of the Bush Presidents, and Bill Clinton, Barrack Obama were beyond the pale. But now, I honestly think there's hope for the future.

      I do get A&E, and I'll check the guide and see when that show comes on. M and I can always use a new show to watch. Right now, we have "Dr.Blake Mysteries" and "Father Brown" on PBS, and that's about it. I was watching "Six" on History Channel but it's over for the season.

      Knives are essential tools. I can't make one, have no idea how to do it, but I have my two good knives from the service. I also bought a bunch of Kabar knock off's from Bud K, and that's not a bad knife. Not in the same category as a Buck or a real Kabar, but affordable.

      Delete