“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Memorial Day Weekend 2017




Through many nations and over many seas having been
driven I come, poor brother, to make these offerings,
that I might give them at last for the service of the dead.

And I, in vain address ashes, unable to speak.
Since fortune has carried away your own self.

Alas, poor brother undeservingly taken away from me,
now however, not  withstanding  these things, by the ancient
custom of our parents
these offerings are handed over with sad service.

Take them with much fraternal sorrow
and for ever, brother, I salute you and farewell.

Gaius Valerius Catullus
57 B.C.









"Remember the past:  Let the elder men among us emulate their own earlier deeds, and the younger who are sons of those valiant fathers do their best not to tarnish the virtues of their race."

Paganodas of Thebes: Speech to the Boetian army before the battle of Delium, 424 B.C.




16 comments:

  1. Lo, there do I see my Father..
    Lo, there do I see my Mother
    And my Sisters and my Brothers..
    Lo, there do I see the line
    Of my people back to the beginning..
    They do bid me to take my place among them..
    In the Halls of Valhalla,
    Where the Brave may live forever

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People are going to start suspecting there's more than one Pagan around here! ;-)

      Who's to say that isn't how it is, Valhalla has always had a certain allure.

      Delete
  2. I am amazed how words spoken all those centuries ago are still true today. We need to remember those who fought and died not just one day within a year, but each and every day. For without their sacrifice we would be living in a world that none of us wish to see. Good post, Harry. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think the military virtues have changed much over the centuries, Vicki, even if just about everything else has. The Romans and the Greeks had a real flair for putting those standards into words.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for your service, my friend.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best years of my life, in retrospect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What DrJim said. We all owe you, and all the rest quite a debt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice that we have Memorial Day. Gives the thoughts on the subject a proper focus and that's a good thing.

      Delete
  6. They are never forgotten, we may not know every single one that has made the ultimate sacrifice, but the ones who have served feel each and every one of them in a special way. I know I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You put it into words better than I could have done.

      Delete
  7. As always Harry an excellent post. Thank you for your years of service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thanks to you two. It's a hard life for the whole family, not many can handle it , but your family has done very well in every respect.

      Delete
  8. I respect those that have been through the military. I enjoy going to Memorial Park to see a service there, but we had a family gathering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's as good a way as any to celebrate Memorial Day, Alissa. It's supposed to be a happy holiday in honor of those who died in the wars, not a sad day.

      Delete
  9. Harry,

    Amen Brother, Amen!!! Thank you for your service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a long time ago now. Seems like a different person when I look at pictures from back then.

      Delete