Truth.

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."

Ariel Durant

Thursday, May 4, 2017

The storms just keep rolling through.



Yesterday, I thought I had a doctors appointment. So I trimmed my beard, my wife trimmed my hair, and I got out a decent pair of khaki shorts and khaki shirt. I usually don't go to such trouble over a trip to town.  But when we got to the end of the drive way, I couldn't remember if I was supposed to be there at 1:00 or 1:30.  So I asked my wife to check the card in my wallet, and she said that I was right, I was supposed to be there at 1:30.  She said that I had the time right but I was two weeks off on the date.

That aggravated me, and I said the card must be wrong. I was sure it was yesterday. But when I called them, they said, no, it was in two weeks.  All dressed up and no place to go!

So , we went on into town.  I got the new Firearms News Treasury #17 at the grocery store.



 I have all 17 of these. They're an annual publication. I've been reading Shotgun News for many, many years. Recently they got all high tech, and started putting out flashy color magazines.

As a result, instead of three a month, now you just get 1 some months and 2 others. Supposedly, once they get all settled down, it will be two a month.

Shotgun News (now Firearms News) is basically a catalog for the firearms user. All the big parts dealers and gun dealers advertise in there, and there are good deals on ammo. Used to be, the big surplus houses advertised too, but now there really aren't any big surplus houses left.

I worked on my tin can  trip line rig.  I'm putting one all around a much reduced perimeter with my buildings inside.  I used to have an electric fence that surrounded the meadow and all the buildings, but it was too much to keep it up.  First off, every time we had a big storm, down would come trees and smash it. It was five strands of heavy gauge wire, but wild hogs went through it like butter. I'd come out in the morning, and it would have a section all torn down, with little bristly hog hairs caught in the wire on the insulators. Or, a bear would walk into it, and when he got a shock on his nose he'd instinctively swat the fence and take out all five strands. So the fence has been swallowed up by the woods, and now you can just see some of the yellow insulators on trees once in awhile.

But the trip wire works because it wakes up the dogs, and they wake me up.  I  use  tin cans with marbles in them, and hang them from a piece of trip wire, so mine are not so elaborate as the sketch, but it's the same principle.


You can go to this much trouble if you want to, but I use the system below.




All it has to do is rattle when someone or something walks into it, and the dogs will do the rest. All they have to do is wake me up.  This is primarily something you would expect to work at night, but maybe not so much so during the day.  One nice thing about it, tin cans are free, the trip wire is just heavy duty cord, so you don't invest a lot in it. And nobody can sue you , like they can if you use some less passive item of equipment.  Remember, it's a lot of work to dig a hole deep enough to dispose of the evidence if all you have is a pick ax and a shovel. And if your soil is all hard red clay and flint and roots, it just doesn't bear thinking about. Still, you do get to keep any weapons or equipment you recover...




Some Levity:












Obligatory Parody of the Day:

(Warning: Some vulgar thoughts.)







Thought for the Day:






16 comments:

  1. It's good you still went somewhere! I'm so bad with dates and times that I have to check the calendar often. I just know I'll mess something up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am usually pretty careful about appointments, but in this case I just had it fixed in my mind that it was that particular day. Don't know why. In your case, you have so much going on it would be a modern miracle if you didn't have some mix ups. I have to just rack it up to carelessness.

      Delete
  2. which is why i have a backhoe and several bags of lime, and a spot already picked out down in the bottom. "two can keep a secret, if one of them is dead." unknown pirate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prior planning prevents poor performance. There's a long ravine on my property, where I could dump anything that needed to be disposed of. I know the wild hogs frequent it, and they would soon handle the problem. I'm not up for digging a deep hole in this ground.

      Delete
  3. Hey Harry,

    (captaincrunch)

    'Zen and the Art of Mosin Nagant Maintenance'

    I spent three hours tearing down the 1891 Mosin (made in 1900) and cleaned and oiled it.
    I understand that under the wood fore arm of the stock on the barrel small rust spits (maybe pitted) can be found and I found two of them about half an inch long. I cleaned the rust up a bit, oiled the barrel and found some very light surface rust on the butt stock and a few other minor spots and took care of it.
    I have a medium size gunsmithing kit I got from Brownell's a number of years ago and I haved other tools too. 'By the time it was all said and done. I had 117 year old Russian rifle parts all over the kitchen table. On the kitchen counter and some parts in the living room.
    I had tools everywhere. For three hours I enjoyed myself. I was like a 10 year old kid with an old fashioned "Erector Set' with all the dangerous, sharp edged and swallowable small parts.
    I got that Mosin all set and ready to go to the range. Much to my consternation. One of the barrel bands broke (the one bear the end of the barrel) Its a screw type barrel band. The screw is stripped. I can not get it to screw in the other side:(
    I will see if I can find a replacement and keep the original part on hand for next owner. Maybe I can find a 'very, very small tap and die set and maybe I can get it re-threaded.

    I will check online for a replacement too.

    On the Mosins. If I understand it correctly. All Mosin's made during or before 1927 are considered 'Dragoon's and all have 1891 lineage even if they have been modified.
    The 91-30's have the shorter barrel. Metric sites and a few other tweaks.
    Starting in 1931. All new Mosins were made and in the late 1930's, the 'Round Reciever was came out and was used onward during the war.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CC: When your rifle was built, there were three distinct models of the Mosin Nagant model 1891. There was the M1891 infantry rifle, the "Cossack Rifle" also called the "Dragoon" rifle, and the carbine. The three had similarities but all were produced as distinct models. Take a look here:

      http://mosinnagant.net/ussr/Soviet-M9130.asp

      I have the top of the line book on the M1891 Nagant, it's from the "Collectors Guide" series. If you want to borrow it I will mail it to you. I haven't forgotten you sent me that muzzle brake for the M1891, so I owe you one.

      You can get the part you need from Numerich Gun Corporation,

      https://www.gunpartscorp.com/

      If you have trouble let me know and I will touch base with some private individuals who might could furnish the part.

      It's always good to take care of the old rifles, but I'm pretty cautious about field stripping them down to basic components, and I don't disassemble bolts or magazines unless something is wrong with them . There are lots of small pins and such you can lose, and then you are SOL. I have a Model 1888 commission rifle that is a wall hanger because it's missing a small part in the bolt that isn't to be found anywhere. I even sent it to a famous (among collectors) gunsmith in Philadelphia, and he sat on it and did nothing for six months so I just told him to send it back. It's over my fireplace now.

      Delete
  4. hey Harry - just a quick note to let you know that we are back online. i did a post with pics of the inside of our house...you might like it. also sent an email just to update you that we are back online. now trying to stop in to everyone on our bloglist and let them know we are back. a better comment coming soon. i love your tripwire set up!

    sending love to you and yours, always! your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kymber, it's always nice to hear from you. I'm glad you are back on line, I like to keep up with your adventures in the Great Far North.

      I'll look for your email.

      Delete
  5. So you got all dressed up for a magazine buy - works for me !

    Went to Classic Firearms this morning - saw a genuine BM-59 for sale, the 1st I've seen for a long time, but I don't keep an eye out for that. Jeff Cooper liked that one. Or maybe it was Mel Tappan, I can't remember without morning coffee kicking in.

    Is that heavy duty trip wire cord bank line ? That stuff works well for exposed conditions like you describe. Not so much for knots as the texture is too grippy but it is manageable.

    Have a great weekend sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been getting deluged with Classic Firearms emails about the BM-59. When I was stationed in Italy the Alpini were still using those, so I saw them fairly often. I don't own one as they are fairly rare and I really like the M-1 Garand better, but I would pick one up just to have it if the price was right. Classic Arms gets some really rare guns, they got in a shipment of Swedish Mausers not so long ago, but alas, they ask prices commensurate with the rarity of the weapons..

      I use a commercial paracord for my trip lines, or sometimes, I use a piece of electric fence wire. I tend to African Engineer it, cobbling it back together with whatever I have on hand when a tree or something else takes it out.

      My main concern is bears. I often go outside at night, and wander around the buildings. A long time ago, in doing so, I walked up on bear, and my daughter did the same thing when she was just a little girl. We had a rare daylight visit by a big male and she just walked around the corner of the barn, there he was. That was when I first put up the electric fence. The fence was good because I had the power generator for it on the wall of the shop facing the house. If the red light was on, the fence was up, and nobody/nothing had broken through and was inside the perimeter. But if the light was not on, then the fence was down and I knew there was the possibility of some animal being inside the perimeter. These days, I just keep my ears open. The fence was impossible to keep up and running in the forest, but the trip wire with cans costs virtually nothing. The dogs are quick enough to raise hell if a branch falls, so if they have been quiet when I go out on the porch, I figure nothing is inside the perimeter.

      Delete
  6. Could you please stop shipping your storms to my place. Thanks. Rain is in my forecast for as far as they care to forecast. Buddy of mine just had AAA pull him out of the mud. Got too close to the river. Actually, river came into the road.

    Like your low tech alarm system. Whatever works.

    Sorry you got cleaned up for nothing. That's a sad thing to happen to us retired guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today it's cold outside (51 degrees at 10:10 a.m.) and very windy. Won't be going outside much.

      The low tech approach is best. Cans don't need batteries, and there are no parts like transmitters on them to fail at inopportune moments. I do have some motion detectors on likely avenues of approach, but the cans are 360 degrees.

      Yeah, I was really aggravated. All that effort for naught.

      Delete
  7. Yes, the 3S plan. Shoot, Shovel, Shut Up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No point in involving the authorities. They won't get here in time to be of any help, and then they'll be all officious and pompous. Better to handle things yourself. Besides, any useful equipment will wind up in the Sheriff's personal stash, why should he have it?

      Delete
  8. As I get older, tractors make more sense. Especially with a bucket on the front to be able to dig with.

    And agree about the rain...my BIL asked DH what he was going to plant in the garden this year. The answer was "rice if I can figure out how to drain the garden to harvest it." It has been bad this year. Not much snow, lots of rain.

    Everything is blooming out now, of course the weather forecast is for low 30's/high 20's overnight in a couple of days. That will mess with all the pretty apple blossoms rather rapidly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suz,

      It's clear and cold here, with the wind blowing like crazy. This has been a very strange Spring, indeed.

      Things are not going well with our gardening efforts. Chickens got in through a window I left open in the plant room, and knocked over the trays of seeds I was sprouting there. Only my wife prevented a wholesale slaughter of the wretches.

      Delete