Truth.

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."

Ariel Durant

Sunday, June 18, 2017

A Walk in the Park. Tennessee Volunteer Arms Commando.




Looks like a nice day outside.  Yesterday was all heat, humidity, and thunderstorms.  I still got a lot of work done before I ran out of energy.   Fiddled with the truck some, there were a number of minor issues I wanted to fix .  Tried to get my mower going, but couldn't.  I cleaned the air filter, checked the fuel line, and the spark plug looked good. I've been trying to keep the meadow cut down with a sling, because it's good exercise, but as the temperatures get hotter, sooner each day, I may have to switch over to the mower.

Friday I did some relaxing out at the river.   I don't fish, but I enjoy sitting on the bank and watching  the fish swim along the surface. There are some big carp in that river.




This is the creek that flows into the river.  Ever so often there are places where you can rest along the walking path.



I noticed the squirrels use these trash cans as foraging sites. They go down inside the trash can, root around for food, then bring it out and haul it off to their nests. This particular squirrel found some cheese puffs.


Some of the trails are gravel. These are higher up the mountainside.


This is the 1.5 mile loop.  It's paved. Originally, it was built for the kids to bike and roller blade on. But the old people complained at the County Commissioners meeting. Not the local oldsters, but the halfway backs. So now no biking or skate boarding is allowed.



I used to bring my kids here , to this meadow in the park, so they could fly their kites. That's been a while back, but I still see families flying kites here sometimes.




This creek flows along the walking trail and eventually runs into the river. Recently the county bought the land on the other side of it by the river, and put in boat launching ramps. They also built an outdoor exercise area for people to use. 



Periodically throughout the park, these little gazebo structures give you a place to get out of the rain. They used to have tables and benches in them, but they all got "disappeared". Oddly, at exactly the same time, the trailer parks where our Hispanic neighbors live blossomed with picnic tables and benches.  Now there's a gate across the entrance to the park and the Sheriff's deputies lock it at ten p.m. 


Recent events on the news have led to a run on ammo at Walmart.  They still have plenty of the more common chamberings but the clerk told me they'd sold more this week than in the preceding month. There are six cabinets there, and only these two had anything left in them. Usually they are all full.

In the upper right hand corner is an ammo can of  5.56.  It's 420 rounds of federal and they want $172.00 for it.  When you add $12.04 tax, it's not a good deal. I bought two of the same cans from Sportsman's Guide for a whole lot less with free shipping and no tax.





I doubt I'll go anywhere today.  Sunday in June is a bad time to get out on the road.  Better to just stay home and relax inside the house.  My son and daughter called to say "Happy Father's Day." I had forgotten it was today, but I appreciated them remembering.


Over the years, I've picked up some odd guns.





One of those is certainly the Tennessee Volunteer Arms "Commando."  The gun was made by a very small company. It was based on the Thompson but the dimensions were not exactly the same.  The first guns had plastic components that did not hold up, so the later production versions were all steel. They were primarily chambered for .45 ACP, though I have been told some were made for 9mm.

These later production guns used M3 Grease Gun magazines, instead of Thompson magazines. My gun had some feeding problems until I polished the feed ramp, after which it cycled with any .45 ACP I used in it.

The Commando's date from the late sixties, and were only in production for a few years. 

The first time we had bears come to the house, and I fired over their heads trying to scare them off, this was the gun I used. It has an impressive muzzle flash and is very loud.  Didn't work though. The momma bear and her baby just sat  there in the woods, tearing open trash bags and ripping the tops off coke cans so they could get the coke out.  Finally had to have the forest service come  trap them in a big "catch 'em alive"  trap and haul them off to a remote part of Tennessee .




Thought for the Day:





28 comments:

  1. That park looks like a great place to relax in times like these...

    Harry, my lawnmower had the same problem. Turned out I had left some gas in it over the winter and the ethanol over time dirtied up the carb. Maybe take it off and have it cleaned. That was my problem and I checked everything else. Good luck! --Troy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do need to strip it down and check that. If worse comes to worse, I'll run it into the small engine repair shop. I just hate to go to all that bother if it 's something I can fix up here.

      I usually go to the park when nobody is there, so I have it to myself most of the time. I like that place, it's really tranquil.

      Delete
  2. I totally get the idea, and would love to live in a forest (especially one as beautiful as yours) but I fear that the threat of potential fires would dissuade me from making that a realiity.

    I do LOVE that river view swing chair - could definitely make that my "own" ;)

    Isn't it sad that squirrels have scrounging for and resorting to eating human leftovers...?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Living in a deep forest has a number of drawbacks. Forest fires are the worst, but it also gets claustrophobic in the summer, when the woods are so dense they're like a green wall surrounding you.

      I think the squirrels are hooked on the tidbits they get out of the trash. The park has lots of walnut trees and the squirrels could eat the pinecone seeds if they wanted. But people bring them treats and they get hooked on human food. I'm guilty of feeding them peanuts, myself. :-(

      Delete
  3. Marcus Luttrell is an awesome person. I have watched the movie several times and still cry. he is a Great American.

    The park looks very lovely, yesterday our oldest had all-star baseball practice and the youngest one and I went walking around the park there is a pond with a sitting area, it was nice to sit and enjoy it for a little bit.

    Have a Happy Fathers Day Harry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He seems like someone I would not mind having for a neighbor, and that's saying a lot.

      It really is nice to walk through a place that's green, and quiet, and well maintained. Gives a person a chance to just be free of other concerns for awhile.

      It was a good day for me when the kids called. I really appreciated it.

      Hope it's a good day for your whole family.

      Delete
  4. Happy Father's Day, Harry! i am really glad that the kids remembered and called you - that must have been a nice surprise!

    i love you big woods - we have lots of forest around here but your trees are much bigger - we mostly have birch, pine and alders.

    sending much love to you, as always! your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll trade you a few poplars and maples for some of that beautiful beach you have. And for some of the views you have from your place. In winter I have some good views too, but in the spring and summer it's like living in a primordial forest here.

      It was nice to get a call from G and E. They are good people. I'm looking forward to everybody coming home in July for a visit.

      Thanks for coming by, Kymber. I always like to hear from you.

      Delete
  5. I've come across those commandos a time or two. My experience has been that because they look like Thompson guns the people selling them often try to get the same price as a Thompson gun, which is just not going to happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sold that one to myself, since it came in on trade at the gun counter where I worked part time. Back then, Auto Ordnance was offering a very accurate reproduction of the Thompson and it was modestly priced.The Commando's are more of an everyman's carbine, they look a little like the real dead but they were rough in finish and usually needed a little fine tuning to make them reliable. Mine has been good, although I admit it's been in a rack on the wall of my study for more than 20 years and rarely taken off to be fired. I bought a lot of M3 mags for it, from an outfit that used to sell magazines for good prices out of Shotgun News. Alas, like so many others, they have been out of business for decades now.

      Delete
  6. Happy Father's Day Harry! Glad you got to talk with your kids. What a beautiful park and a great place to walk. Jana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jana, it really is. I try to go by there on my once a week trips to town.

      It was good to hear from the kids. I appreciated their remembering me and calling. I know they are really busy and don't have much time.

      Delete
  7. I thought you and several others would find this link interesting. My Grandfather was in WW1 and survived one of the gas attacks in the trenches so this stuff interests me to no end. He wad in the Rainbow division under MacArthur.

    Matt (didn't feel like signing into Google)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here's the link.

    http://www.forgottenweapons.com/world-war-one-soldiers-loadouts/

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very interested in the First World War. I'll sure take a look at that and I appreciate you sending it.

      Delete
  9. I used to have more guns than I needed (Is that possible?), but I had to sell most of them when things went south. I'd never seen one of the commando's. Marcus values his friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do to keep above water. We've all been through that evolution at one time or other.

      The Commando's were not in production long, I think for about five years, and were made in a tiny little shop in Tennessee. There were never many of them out there. Now there are people who collect them but I'm not one of them, I just have one because some guy traded it in one day when I was working at the gun counter and I liked it. But it didn't feed reliably until I polished the feed ramp on it, then it was fine.

      Yes, he does. And justifiably so. About the worse thing you can do to a fellow, short of harming his wife or kids, is to kill his dog.

      Delete
  10. Hey Harry,

    (captaincrunch)

    Do you have a push mower or a riding lawn mower. I recommend a 'Toro 4225S' Zero Turn Mower because I own one and its cool. It has a 22 HP Kohler Engine and its the fastest mower on the street.
    I can cut grass at lightning speed and maneuver that thing like a fighter jet:)
    Seriously. That riding lawn mower makes my life a lot easier. The seat is super, super comfortable too.
    Maybe when the 'Zombies' take over, I can rig a WW1 Lewis Machine gun with one of the 'cassette magazines' on it and be like a 'Red Baron' on the ground:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine is a push mower that pulls itself. I just have to steer it. I had a riding mower once, but when the meadow grass was wet there were times when it would slide sideways and try to tip over. I have a vivid imagination and thinking about what might happen if it did, I sold it.

      Get one of those gator utility vehicles for your Mad Max platform. You can hang more weapons off of it. ;-)

      Delete
  11. Hello, Harry. I always marvel at how beautiful your parks are. Nice trails and swings to rest upon. Nothing like that here. Happy Fathers Day. I am glad your kids called but sad you are alone today. We spent the day plinking and it was a fun day for Hubby and me. The kids are too busy with their own kids and live too far away to visit for a day. It was hot today, but after the forever winter, I thought it was great. With our low humidity it was really nice. Do you have night sounds in your forest? Frogs and crickets and critter noises? Here it is dead quiet at night except for an occasional coyote howl. No crickets, frogs...nothing. Just stillness and quiet. It took some getting used to.

    ReplyDelete
  12. One thing we have done right up here is the parks. If the county hadn't bought the land, developers would have and then it would be like the lake, hardly anywhere a normal mortal can get to the water.

    There are worse ways to pass the time than doing a little shooting. I have been expending some of that .22LR ammo I got by shooting at soda cans hung from strings in the trees. I can stand on my porch and do that.

    Right now, we have frog noises, owls, and some kind of night bird I have been hearing for more than 30 years but have no idea what it is. Sometimes there are coyotes or wolves howling, which always sets the dogs into a frenzy. Last night I went out just at dusk to go turn off the ac in the apartment, and a deer was in the meadow. It "huffed" at me, like they do. There's lots of four legged and winged company up here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Replies
    1. It is. The county built a "fine arts center" whichI've never set foot in. They built a new cannery, which was good. There's a skeet range for the 4H kids, and a new agricultural center for the FFA kids. All of those were good things. But they also built a palatial office building on the golf course for county bureaucrats. They have fine heavy wood furniture, Italian marble in the bathrooms, a big viewing room looking out over the mountains. That was a waste of money.

      Delete
  14. I remember the Commando, but did another company makes these later, maybe in late '70's / early '80's ? I think I recall a similar model then, but I may be mistaken.

    That 'Lone Survivor' has a good heart. As Gorges said above, he values his friends and has no problem backing them up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there was a company called Manchester arms, which as I recall (and we're talking 30 years ago now) went broke. The tooling was sold to Tennesee Volunteer Arms and the gun, somewhat improved, went into production again.
      You wouldn't believe the hateful comments I got based on that one little mention of him. As in so many things, the snowflakes can't stand a person who has really done something in the world. They only like people who sit back on their well cushioned behinds and run their mouths. People who have deeds to their credit make them nervous.

      Delete
  15. That park looks so relaxing! I think I'd like to walk around there.

    Lately on my short lunch break I go to pick mulberries. That's about the only outside time I get. They grow wild. I'm the only one that picks them.

    It rains more in GA than NE. We don't have many shelters like that in parks here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very nice place. I'm sure you would like it. Be careful picking the mulberries. I saw where bears got two people up in Alaska and gobbled them up this weekend. They probably weren't picking mulberries but they like them I bet.

      Ga is turning into a swamp. They had some mild flooding in South Ga this weekend.

      Delete
  16. That looks like a nice trail for running loops.

    We have had bear issues in our neck of the woods this year. Or at least, the nearby neighbors have. They have started trying to fire into the air to scare the bears off. One is fairly destructive.

    ReplyDelete