“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Friday, June 2, 2017

CB radios. 22LR ammo. 22 LR pistols and rifles. The Tao of Pop Eye the Sailor man.


In May of 1986,  I went out the  back gate of Camp Lejeune, N.C. for the last time.  I didn't move here until late August of 1986.  At the time, we were living in a beach house on Emerald Isle, NC. We'd been there for about a year , that was my last duty station after Naples, Italy.

I bought myself a good Uniden base station, an American Eagle microphone, and a good radio shack pole antenna.  Because I had salt water on three sides of me, I could send a ground wave out about 20 to 30 miles and further out over the Atlantic.  At night the shrimp boats were out there, and I enjoyed talking to them. You could see their red trawling lights way out on the horizon. This was long before the invention of cell phones, so sometimes people on the shrimp trawlers would ask me to make phone calls for them, which I gladly did.


CB radio is virtually extinct now, but in the mid eighties it was very common. People had them at home and in their vehicles.  There were 40 Channels, but you could get more by using an SSB (single side band) set.

When I moved here, I didn't set my CB unit back up for a number of years.  When I finally did, I usually listened to "skip" on the SSB setting. Skip is the radio wave bouncing off the ionosphere, so it's dependent on atmospherics. You might hear someone in Texas perfectly clearly one night, but you have almost no chance of ever finding them again.

There was a piece of equipment called a linear accelerator, which boosted your power out, and thus your signal strength. You couldn't use one if other people lived around you, because the transmissions would bleed over, and you'd be broadcasting on the neighbors television set. But an amplifier did let people send a signal out further.

These days I just listen to short range AM ground wave signals. That means, if there's not a mountain between you and the guy transmitting (terrain masking) you might be able to pick someone up around 10 miles out.  Most of the people I listen to are like me, up on a mountain top. 

It's an interesting way to keep up on local events. I just listen, because most of the people on the "net" are garrulous older guys and I'm not looking for fishing buddies, etc. 

Recently, listening to a discussion on the CB,  I heard there was no longer a limit on .22 LR at Walmart, and that they had a large supply in. So, I went to Walmart. They did have vast quantities of Federal .22 LR, both boxes of 50 and "bricks" of 500. But every single brick had the box end cut off.



I asked the lady who works at the sporting good counter why.  She said she cut the box ends off because "no one would want to buy that old cheap stuff to keep, and that makes it easier to sell single boxes."  Then, although she knows me and knows shooting is my hobby, she asked me if I understood all the "stuff" on the box about the ammo. I had no idea what she was talking about.  It turns out, according to her anyway, that people have been buying the lead round nose, thinking they were buying "the good stuff" then going to the range and finding out these were not high velocity hollow points. So they try to return the ammo, which you can't do.

You would have to be very ignorant, very stupid, or very careless, or some combination there of, to do that. But there's no underestimating the low intelligence level of the general public, as I learned first hand working at the state park.

I bought a brick of 500, which I intend to shoot at aluminum cans hanging in trees at different distances from my front porch.



I have a couple of Polish Model 1948 single shot trainers that are fun to plink with.



I also have a number of 22LR pistols I've acquired over time.


The Walther P22 is a fun gun.  Light, small, and like most things German, very high quality.


The Stoeger .22LR Luger.  I bought two of these at Camp Pendleton on my way to Okinawa in 1979. I left them with my brothers, who were stationed at Pendleton then, and when I came back I kept one and gave the other one to my middle brother.   Later on, I found a third one of these pistols in a gun shop in Clarkesville, Ga.  They are nice shooters, but getting rare as I haven't seen one for sale in years. Maybe they don't make them anymore.


This is an American Arms P-38 clone in 22LR.  Fun gun to shoot. Doesn't cost as much as a real P-38 in terms of ammo, so you can shoot to your hearts content, and you don't have to police up the brass.


Then there are the Ruger .22 LR pistols.  I went on a binge collecting different versions of these when I worked at the General Store gun counter part time. Whenever a new version came out, I bought one. Now I have six of  them, most of which I haven't ever fired. They are good quality and very forgiving in terms of accepting just about any .22 LR. Or so I have heard from people who have shot them a lot. They feel good in the hand, are accurate, and last forever.



Today's Branco Cartoon



Will this evil hag never go away?  The MSM seems to delight in trotting her out whenever she emerges from Grendel's cave.  She shows up at the commencement ceremony of Podunk Junction Junior College and there are hundreds of her worshipers there to show their adulation. Why is that news?

Thought for the Day:








Just in Passing:



Probably nobody remembers the old "Pop Eye the Sailor" cartoons from the 1930's.  He and I had one  thing in common.

I am what I am.  I don't make any apologies for it. I'm not a particularly nice person and have never said I was.  I don't think I'm particularly bad, either.   I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why people who think I am a horrible monster bother to read my blog.  I'm not concerned with what they think.  I'm not going to moderate my posts to please them.  I do care about the good people who come here, and I listen to them. But people who just want to be insulting are wasting my time and theirs.




30 comments:

  1. Trolls exist simply because their insecurities are somehow salved by thinking that they're irritating other people. I guess it makes the little perverts feel they have some sort of superpower or something. In reality, that "power" is about as impressive as taking a dump.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gorges, it's really rare for one of these bottom feeders to aggravate me but one of them managed it today. I accidentally published their inane comment without realizing I had done so. Fortunately, I caught it when I reviewed the post. I didn't care so much about what they said as the fact that I had to fool with it in the first place. You'll get no argument from me on the troll thing, I wholeheartedly agree with you.

      Delete
  2. Harry, you are one of my favorite people....we think alike. I have no use for most people, especially liberals. I just got my new Mark IV...could not help myself; it called to me and I answered, lol. My very first gun was a Ruger .22 revolver that my husband got for me in 1961...a great little shooter. How much were the .22 selling for at your Walmart?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first gun of my own was a Ruger Blackhawk. I scraped up the money to buy one used. Ruger makes primo weapons.

      The Wal-Mart was selling the 22LR ammo at $2.47 for the box of fifty rounds, plus seven percent sales tax.The brick had ten boxes in it. But they just multiplied ten boxes times the one box price, no cheaper price for a brick like they used to do.

      I guess the lack of social aspirations is why we both live in fairly remote locations. I have few social skills. But I have redeeming characteristics as well, so maybe it evens out in the long run.

      Delete
    2. Even with 7% sales tax, you can buy .22 cheaper than my subscription, right now. I would still have to drive 100 miles to the nearest Walmart, so I guess it evens out considering gasoline.

      Delete
    3. I usually only go to Wal-Mart when I go to town for something else. I need to make fewer trips because it's a long way there and back, 32 miles round trip to town. So I go to the library, bank, post office, park and then finish up at Wal-Mart.

      Delete
  3. What type of rifle is the Thought Of The Day lady holding ?
    - Charlie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlie, that's a French MAS model 1949/56. A rare bird. It has a finicky gas system,which works well with French surplus military 7.5 French ammo, not so good with commercial 7.5 French. I hand load for mine. It's a sweet little rifle, which has a strange detachable box mag with the magazine release on the magazine, not the receiver. The MAS 49/56 was a favorite weapon of the French Foreign Legion in the sixties and seventies.

      Delete
  4. Running a Linear AMPLIFIER with your CB radio can get you in trouble with the FCC. CB radios are limited to a maximum of 4 Watts output.

    Most of the "CB Quality" amplifiers are poorly designed, with no output filtering, and are easy to make generate all kinds of "spurious" signals by over driving them.

    CB's are nice to have even if you're a Ham, as there great for local short-range comms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. When I lived on Emerald Isle, there was an old coot across the intercoastal waterway who ran with a 100 watt amplifier on his CB . He'd get drunk and start broadcasting obscenities and insults at anyone he could find. I guess you could say he was a troll before trolling was cool to paraphrase the old song.The fcc did get him but it didn't seem to phase him much. I think he felt like a rock star.He went by "The Red Rooster."

      Delete
  5. Interesting post Harry. Truckers still us CBs but Dan says sometimes the language gets so obnoxious that it isn't enjoyable to listen to. I didn't know any of that stuff about ammo! But then there's a lot of things I don't know much about. Makes blog visiting and reading all the more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, We had a radio shack here and the owner would carry CB stuff, but it went broke years ago. I don't know if there are even any Radio Shacks left anywhere now. Seems like it has pretty much died out as a hobby although I can see why truckers would still use it to pass the time.

      You know world's more about animal husbandry, herbs, growing food and things like that than I do. I've picked up a lot of useful information from your place.

      Delete
  6. " I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why people who think I am a horrible monster bother to read my blog."
    Hell, I thought you were kind of easy going.
    I've had a Walther PPK in .22 for decades. Used to buy cases of bricks to run through it. Still carry it around the farm just because it shoots so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a relatively rare pistol. First Interarms from Alexandria, Virginia imported some in the 1970's. Then Smith and Wesson picked up the Walther PPK license and started making PPK's in the States but I think all of theirs were.380 ACP. I've never even seen a PPK in 22 except in books or magazines.

      There are individuals, who are not trolls, who are prostrate over my views on BLM and Moslems. They want to remonstrate with me. I'm not going to be converted and I am less and less disposed to spend my time trying to educate the brainless minions of Little Chucky, or Pelosi.

      Delete
  7. Harry,

    We've learned our lesson when we had a large tornado and no means of communicating to family. We purchased 2 CB's and have multiple cell phones, along with a ham radio (licensed). No longer will web without a communication source.

    I remember Popeye!!! Now I guess I'm aging myself :p :p
    Bottom feeders aren't worth my time and effort, they get deleted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have four good quality hand held radios, but they are GRMS. I had some good hand held C B radios but I donated them to the Civil Air Patrol when I joined here so I could fly their T-141. I have some shortwave radios I can listen to Hams on , just receivers. It's good to have multiple communications devices. I pay Sirius XM $18.00 a month for a subscription although I hardly ever listen to it any more. Pandora is much better for music. But I keep Sirius as a backup.

      Yeah, Pop Eye is not politically correct anymore because the leftists decided the Goons were racial caricatures of Negroes. But I still like his philosophy of life.

      Delete
  8. So, what is "nice" these days? Being a doormat for some leftist moron?I find that the older I get the less inclined I am to suffer idiocy. I guess that means I am not nice either...I am deep in enemy territory here, and if one of my customers tries to educate me with the latest in "facts", I have no problem correcting them. I priced my self out of the diversity sector long go...Deliberate choice.
    I have been "collecting" 22s for long time. During the great ammo drought I enjoyed showing up at the range with a brick...When I see some decently priced at a gun show, I will generally pick it up. I have shorts and CBs too. Useful from time to time. The gun cranks version of "diversiy".
    Big gunshow up here next weekend, have to see if the gun fund is full enough to make trip worth while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm supposed to be hoarding my gun money for my MP 40. But I still pick up dribs and drabs of ammo if the price is right.

      What really gets my goat is that I will say something in a post that some leftard doesn't like. So they email me and tell me how messed up I am, but their "facts" are made up. So then I email them back with links to reputable sources, supporting what I said. But I get no response and I wasted all that time.

      Delete
    2. The problem is, it does not matter what you say, some pea brain will be offended. "Good Morning" is probably offensive to to some gender queer that identifies as a bat...I can't keep up with it anymore, so I stopped caring. You are offended? So what.

      Delete
    3. Yes, that's true. I delete offensive comments. But I published an email address some time back, and that started me getting emails all about how my opinions were ill founded. So I responded to the criticism with documentation and links supporting my position. Then I either don't hear anything else, or I get a "you are just an A**hole" as a response. Not productive and I consider I've wasted my time.

      Delete
  9. A couple years ago one of those American Arms P-38 in 22lr came through the local gun shop, it was priced at something like 130$. I knew nothing about it, but it peeked my curiosity so I went home to do some googling about it. By the time I went back to the store it had sold.
    I was at the local Walmart this morning and they were out of 22s. But the local Cabelas has about six feet of shelves loaded with just about any flavor possible.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Too bad the little P 38 clone got away. They are good little guns and cheap to shoot. I think the 22 LR shortage is finally over. Our Wal-Mart has lifted the three boxes per customer per day edict and seems to have an adequate supply. That's a good thing, and hopefully we will have eight years of Trump to stock up before some anti second amendment Democrat or Republican gets in office and causes problems for us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So why do you not consider yourself a nice person? I've seen you be nice to people in a long-suffering sort of way when you, by all rights, should have went all Kathy Griffin and posted a pic of you holding their severed head(s).

    I dare say 99% of us, your regular readers, would put you and family up indefinitely should you be on the area and things crack and travel isn't possible. I certainly would not to just anyone.

    If being a practicing nonPC kinda guy makes you mean and hateful, they'd really hate when you came after them....

    Screw 'em.

    And if they don't like it,

    Screw 'em twice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate the kind thoughts. Alas, though I have toned down in my old age, I have some negative personality traits that still cause me trouble. I get angry and when I do, I am not a very pleasant person. I just can't tolerate idiots, I don't feel sorry for them, and I am not very tactful. I'm not perfect. Most of the criticism I get from the computer things like the blog and email are from people who know nothing about me and just want to attack my opinions. They don't bother, at least not often.

      I think I just need a vacation. ;-)

      Delete
  12. Harry, the comms thing is sort of my bailiwick, so I wanted to comment; have you ever thought of getting an amateur radio (ham) license? It's incredibly easy these days and with your mountaintop location you're on prime real estate for HF propagation. You could join in with us on the AmRRON nets as well as the Patriot Net, both of which I think would be right up your alley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Several times, Bert. But I have a good number of HF receivers, and I don't really want to talk to other people so much as just keeping abreast of what's going on. Also, it's an expensive hobby if you have to buy transceivers, and I'm already about overrun with hobbies.

      I really appreciate your invitation. Who knows, maybe some day I'll break down and do it.

      Delete
  13. Ah, the P22...I got mine new right at 15 years ago as I loved the look of the thing and the size, and I've had a lot of fun with it, but...the trigger, especially in double-action mode, is kinda heavy. With the factory magazines (got mine July 2002, magazines may have been worse back then, problem fixed later?) I have feeding issues now and again, and some ammo doesn't feed or ignite very well. If the pistol is not absolutely clean it probably will have a couple failures to fire or feeding problems in a ten shot magazine. Also, when the ambient temperature is 25 degrees or less, the pistol doesn't want to cycle. Do you, perchance, have any suggestions with regards to fixing any of these things? Like recommendations for a certain lubricant or other to use or avoid, or favorite ammunition for your own P22? Like I said, LOVE the package and the way it's put together, and liked the idea so much at the time I sold off a nice Ruger SP101 to buy a new P22 when they were still fairly new. KB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KB, I don't usually fire my weapons when it's that cold because I'm inside by the fire. I fire Remington LRN out of my pistol when I'm just plinking, though I've fired a good many Stingers through it with no problem too.

      I use Break Free on my .22 pistols for lubrication and it has served me well.

      I have a sweet SP100, the long barreled version with the rubber and cocobolo grips. Love that gun.

      Good to hear from you. I see you signed on anonymously, don't you still have your blog?

      Delete
  14. Nah, not me, I never had a blog. Sorry about the delayed thank you, but thank you very much! I'll have to try Break Free. I'm the guy who works lots of, and weird hours at the hospital, first discovered your blog when you were giving all the details of your expensive, but disappointing, to you, solar project-fascinated me then as now, and I think your blog was where I first read about ARs at Wal-Mart, when they first started carrying them. But I love, love, love the blog and try to read it every day, as work and family permit. Of course, Kim du Toit is apparently blogging again, has been for a few months after the death of his wife, so I'm catching up on that-bit of a EuroSnob for my tastes, but he's right on the money a lot of the time. Thank you again for the advice on the Break Free-will have to try that on the next trip to the family farm next weekend, and may be testing out an H & K USP in .40 S & W if the deal I think I found today is really true-very, very tempted... KB

    ReplyDelete
  15. ...my old SP-101 was a 2.5" barrel .357, bought in 2001, but I eventually bought a 5" barrel .22 SP-101 with the 8 shot cylinder, stainless steel-the one you are talking about-*fantastic* revolver to wear on my belt whilst fishing... KB

    ReplyDelete