“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Thursday, July 20, 2017

Busy day.

Today will be busy.  At two this afternoon, we are meeting a windshield repair truck down at the church on the paved road. We are having my daughter's Jeep Commander windshield replaced. The glass people have one of  those big panel trucks, and there's no way  they could get up the Jeep trail, so we are meeting them down on the "flat."

Tonight at seven p.m. there is a showing of "Dunkirk" at our local theater and we are going to that. It's interesting why they have the show that late. But I suppose their reasoning is sound. They know that only the oldsters are going to that movie, because no one else even remembers World War 2. They also know that the oldsters (like me) who don't work, go to the weekday matinee's because a Senior gets in for three bucks.  What to do?  Well, they show the movie in the evening so the Seniors, who make up their audience for this movie, will have to pay full price.  I guess every business has it's angles. I'm ok with that because it means there won't be any kids in the theater. I don't mind paying extra for that.

Yesterday, my son and I went to the state park to swim , about six. Usually there is no one there at that time, we have the whole beach to ourselves. The water is great, and the sun is behind a mountain so we don't get sunburned.

But yesterday, there were about forty kids on the beach. There was a church group from Atlanta having a three day "camp."  The kids were about 12 to 16 years old.

Two boys and two girls came up next to us, out by the deep part where there is a pipe barrier to keep people from going out any further.

The two boys had the foulest mouths I have ever heard in my life. They said things that were revolting, and I've spent months and months on Navy ships, so I'm not easily bothered by that.

I told my son I was going over to tell those boys that if they had no respect for themselves, they could at least show some decency with the two girls there. But my son said if I did that, they would just tell me to "f off old man" or , he said they might go say I did something inappropriate. I had not thought  of that.

Finally, I just told my son I wasn't enjoying myself and we went on home. It was a bust. Those people are supposed to be there til Friday so I won't go back til then. As we were leaving, I saw a bunch of women sitting behind the beach under the trees that were "chaperones." I was going to recommend they talk to these little cretins about how they behaved, but the ladies were so nice and so obviously oblivious to what was going on I just thought "to hell with it." and we left.

Well, I have to go take Rufus out to the meadow for a bathroom break, so I'll finish here. Hope everyone is doing well. I know I'm not getting around to other blogs I always read, but I will catch up next week when  things settle down.

Cartoons:







Thought for the day:






13 comments:

  1. Hi Harry :) Too bad about the forty kids on the beach. You know, Alex and I are not kid-friendly at all. Neither of us wanted a human pack of kids and that's a major thing we had in common. I don't mind them, just don't want them. We stopped going to the local beach for that exact reason. The day camp goes there almost every day in the summer at all hours. And the kids are foul-mouthed as well. Alex always says something and often gets the "f-off" back at him too. In my day if we even uttered something that sounded like the "f" word, it was a bad scene. There's no discipline or respect (for the most part) anymore. Another reason for us to get up into the woods as soon as possible, we can't stand how society has deteriorated.

    Thanks for mentioning Dunkirk, I just looked it up. Alex and I are movie lovers, especially anything pre-1970. We find newer movies to be touch and go. But we do really like one of the actors who plays in Dunkird, Tom Hardy (he plays "Farrier"). We also like some of the movies the director did (Chris Nolan)...I'll be on the lookout for it when it hits the internet! Hope you enjoy the movie, please let me know what you think of it.

    Oh, and I smiled when you said you're meeting the windshield guy on the "flat". We use that term a lot when we leave our mountains, we call the surrounding area "the flats" but we got that from the movie Jeremiah Johnson, which is another good one with Robert Redford!

    Enjoy your day and evening! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rain,
      It's really discouraging to get around teens that act like trash. Especially from a church group. I'm sure the adults didn't know what was going on out there in the water, but I don't understand why kids like that would be with a church group anyway. Here, we call those people "white trash"and they are a never ending source of trouble for everybody.

      I blame the television and movies for a lot of it. Right on television now, on normal channels like FX, they show movies and use vulgar and obscene language, so the kids pick it up and don't think twice about it. But to use it around those young girls, somebody is falling down on the jobs with those boys. If they don't know any better, it's the parent's fault.

      Like you, I'm content to just live up here and not get involved with people around here. That's why I go to the swimming beach so late, and not on weekends. Usually I have it to myself.

      We didn't make it to the Dunkirk movie yet. Every time we plan to go, my kids decide that they want to do something else, like going boating, or I am just too tired and can't work up the energy. The current plan is to go tomorrow at noon, to the first show, before "old dad" gets too tired out. I'll let you know how it is. I saw the trailer and I liked the Spitfire/BF-109E scenes!

      I saw Jeremiah Johnson long ago, when I was in college. I liked it and "The Wild Bunch" best of all the movies I've seen.

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry your swim was spoiled by those kids. You can tell our society has slipped quite a bit since children are protected from their parental units disciplining them right on the spot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My father would have given me a good whipping with his belt had I done things like that. But now, parents are being arrested for whipping their children, Nanny Government knows best. But Nanny's plans aren't working out too well. It's system is raising young adults with no respect for themselves or any others. You are absolutely right.

      Delete
  3. The kids may have been from the churches neighborhood, not the membership. Then again, you never know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gorges, the adults seemed like decent people. I think they just had no idea what was being said out there in the water. I probably should have told them, but I have been burned by sticking my nose into other people's business before, so I didn't.

      Delete
  4. I am sorry that your swim was messed up because of punk kids. I see kids talking like that all the time. The sad thing is that often their parents are with them, and they talk the same way. As we well know, there is very little decency and respect anymore. Jana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jana, it's depressing. I look back to when that kind of thing didn't happen in decent families, and I look at now where politicians say filthy things on the news to get face time. I just have to shrug my shoulders and try to stay up here so I don't run into such ugly things. It's about all I can do.

      Delete
  5. hi.
    i read on another web log, either 'knuckledragging my life away' or 'the vulgur curmudgeon', that some fool had complained that there were no negroes at dunkirk!
    supposedly the idiot is a lawyer!
    if i were a negro i'd be glad to have avoided that little tea party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The directors were criticized by "people of color" because they did not include "people of color" in the movie. The fact that all the people of color were busy elsewhere at the time and didn't participate in the battle "don't signify." Stupid people.

      Delete
  6. So much for the moral upbringing they get in that church.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, like Gorges said, maybe the kids were white trash that were not from the church, but just brought along by the church. I don't know. The whole thing made me furious at first, and then depressed.

      Delete
  7. Harry,

    Oh Harry, it really sounds like you and your son were enjoying yourselves that is until the church group arrived and the kids acted like butt heads. Your son is right it doesn't pay to deal with spoiled brats who will make your life hell if you confront them. I really don't understand kids (not all of them but most of them) now a days. They don't respect a thing.

    ReplyDelete