Truth.

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."

Ariel Durant

Sunday, July 9, 2017

Sunday Morning.

Sunday morning.  Every day is a Sunday morning if I want it to be, but the old fashioned "work ethic" usually makes me go out and work around the place on weekdays.  Sunday I just take off.

This morning I've been sitting up in the study, where it's cool.  I did go out at dawn, shut off the
security lights, change the settings on the climate control equipment in the outbuildings, and do a head count on the barn cats. One old mom  cat not around but she's pretty savvy, I don't expect anything "got" her last night. She'll show up when she gets hungry.

I do need to put on some decent clothes, as opposed to my grubby old working clothes,and go over to the park for a walk before it gets too hot.

Sunday morning, the campers will be pulling out and by evening time, there won't be many people there. Maybe I'll just wait til about six tonight and go over for a swim.

M and the kids are leaving for home tomorrow. The kids always say they are leaving in the morning, then they wait til about three in the afternoon and get stuck in traffic trying to get out of the city. If they do that this time, they won't get here till around five in the morning.

I need to go around the bedrooms and put fresh linens on the beds, but other than that all I need to do is be sure I have the things they like to eat and drink here. I'll run into town tomorrow and pick up whatever I need. Their tastes are considerably more extravagant than mine. I don't buy organic foods or expensive wines or beer, but I don't mind getting them for G and E.



Had my coffee and visited Lake Havasu,  Sanduval Island, Crystal River, Sedona,  Palm Coast and a few other places this morning on the web cameras. Sure do enjoy those.

I have Pandora and I have Sirius XM in the study, so I can watch the video feeds of exotic places, and listen to some smooth jazz at the same time.  I really can't justify keeping Sirius XM, from a day to day usage basis.  You can narrow down your music genre on Pandora far more efficiently. Pandora is only five dollars a month with no adds, and it works on the Kindle or a computer.  Sirius XM only works on my bulky "boom box" receiver, and it cost $18.95 a month.


I justify keeping the Sirius XM subscription because I can get every news channel of any significance on it, as well as other good to know information stations like conservative talk radio.  As long as the satellites are up and I have fuel for the generator, I can listen to the satellite radio. So it's more of a "survivalist" issue than one of financial acumen.

I should buy another receiver and put it in a Faraday cage though. The one I have is sitting on a stand next to my desk in the upstairs study. If the dwarf from North Korea pops one off in the stratosphere, I'll be SOL. (S*it out of luck.)  Guess I'll add that to my list of things to get, along with new smoke detectors and updated humidity gauges.

It's always the thing you don't think about that comes back to bite you in the rear.

I probably put a lot of time , effort and resources into purely "back up" items and "what if " scenarios.  But I learned early on in my adult life that disastrous things can happen out of the blue. Things you never in your wildest dreams thought could happen.  So I try to cover the bases as best I can, in a general sense.

You can only do the best you can and hope it's good enough when something goes wrong.  Having an individual like the lunatic below, who has his finger on a nuclear trigger, is pretty motivating .






Whoever did this meme has a problem with run on sentences and probably likes Yoda a lot. But I concur with his sentiments.  A man with a wife and kids has no higher responsibility than to protect them and provide for them.

One of my favorite cartoons:



Thought for the day:





Here's a good Sunday morning song.  










22 comments:

  1. Hi Harry :) I love your thought of the day and that Dilbert cartoon! I'm listening to the Sunday morning song as I type this :)
    I feel like every day is Sunday morning for me. Ever since I stopped working (in 2003 due to burnout), I've struggled with being "retired" so to speak. But as I got better and healed, I appreciate not having to 9-5 my life away. Alex works from home so he chooses his hours. We feel pretty lucky to be living in the mountains and choosing how we want to live our lives. Nice post! Happy Sunday to you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Rain. I've been impressed with your place up there in Canada, and with your self sufficient attitude. You came highly recommended, it was Kymber who told me to stop by your place and I immediately became a frequent visitor.

      I don't remember who said "most men lead lives of quiet desperation", but these days, so do most women. It's sad, but it's how society has developed. It seems to me you and your husband have an ideal set up.

      I worked for twenty years a good ways over the mountains. I worked for a company I didn't like, and my boss was from a completely different world. He cared about money way more than I did, and was a lot less concerned about how he made it. So I know what you mean, I understand how not being a wage slave gives a person a new outlook on life.

      Glad you stopped by. Visit again!

      Delete
  2. My Sirius subscription came up again this year. The bill had gone to the "standard" rate of $191/yr. I called and said this was unacceptable. They are offering to "turn on" older acccounts for $99/yr and if I couldn't get that rate, I'd just turn it off. Customer service set me to the "account save" guy who gave me the $99 rate (again). I hate haveing to do this each year, but since it saves me about half I do it. Once we are finished we will have 3 vehicles with docking stations, one in the travel trailer, and the "boom box".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had satellite radio in the Jeep Commander, but I gave that car to the kids when they came back from Canada. They never listened to it so I turned off that subscription. Then, when I decided I didn't need satellite tv, the Sirius subscription was great because I could still listen to Fox, the BBC, Patriot Radio, and Radio Canada. I didn't listen to CNN or MSNBC because even back then I knew they were a bunch of liars. But my wife missed her shows, so we got satellite tv again. The Sirius smooth jazz channel has wandered off from real smooth jazz and plays a lot of classic jazz, which I don't like. I do like the Spa channel and the 1940's channel though. I've hung on to it as a communications back up, along with my shortwave radios.

      I had no idea you could do a deal on the price like that. I'm going to call them tomorrow. I always dread talking to Sirius because you always get Indians named "Theodore" or "Jonathan" who just read off a script and don't understand English worth a damn. But I'll give it a try. I appreciate the heads up.

      Delete
  3. I understand wanting to put another radio in a Faraday cage, but do you think our infrastucture will take a hit and the Sirius' satillites will still be there? (I have a spare unit in my cage - but it is a thought.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, J.P. The Sirius boom boxes themselves are not expensive though, so it seems like it would be worth it to store one away. At worst, it won't work. But you just never know. All I have protected against EMP now is an older lap top, some short wave radios, some AM/FM old transistor radios, and some batteries.

      Delete
  4. Hey Harry,

    (captaincrunch)

    I saw that 'Tank' meme. I want a 'fully upgraded and fully automated, nuclear powered Iowa Class Battleship with the latest anti-missiles, anti-sub torpedoe's, radar and satellite uplinks with, etc, etc, etc. I want the latest anti-aircraft gun and missile batteries. I do not plan to go out like the 'Yamato'
    On a sidenote. If every Japanese battleship and heavy cruiser in WW2 had two carrier escourts and a very extensive anti-aircraft capability. The war in the Pacific would have gone on much longer.

    That preparedness meme with the bunker is super cool too.


    I was looking at a $800,000 beach house today, an no I don't have $800,000. I was just looking out of curiosity. The house was about 100 yards back from the dune line where the beach meets the vegetation. The house was up on top of a system of dunes itself about 30 feet up off the water.

    The house was three stories, first story on the large, covered back porch had the vegetation from the dunes right in front of it and over the end of the dunes was the expansive water view.
    One thing on interest. The front porch would be a great place to hang out on crowded beach days because you would not be able to see the beach in front of the seawater. That means all the beachgoer's would be invisible from the front porch.

    The second and third stories had the large windows, patio's etc. you can see all the beachgoer's from the second and third stories. Its not too bad and the beaches are almost deserted from right after labor day until memorial day.

    I just wanted to see the views from a house like that. The house was brand new construction and no one moved in yet so I just drove up and looked around for a few minutes as if I was looking for a house to purchase.

    If I had a house like that I would purchase a giant pair of U.S. Navy binoculars like the ones that hang off the side of port and starboard bridge wings so I can have a 'ten mile view'
    Its nice just to look every now and then. I still have a nice house though but a beach house. Now that would be nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CC. I am surprised anyone would build something so elaborate on the beach. Has to be just a matter of time before a big storm passes through and washes it away. Getting insurance for those places is pretty hard and very expensive now too. But I guess if someone has almost a million dollars for a beach house, they are probably not too concerned about economic considerations.

      It sure does sound like a nice place. I lived for a year on the beach in Emerald Isle, North Carolina just up the coast from Lejeune. It was really nice , especially in winter when practically no one else stayed on the island. That's a good way to live.

      The Yamato was on a one way trip. She only had enough fuel to reach Okinawa, where she was supposed to beach herself and use her guns to help with the defense. Whoever came up with that plan was probably more concerned that the Yamato not be captured at the pier in Japan , just wanted her to go down fighting. Hard on the crew though.

      Delete
  5. hi Harry, here is another site you may like. It's where I live and very different from those other places. www.pasty.com/snow/ You will see winter in a whole new way.---ken

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ken, thanks for the link. I enjoy being able to see the terrain in different places, and that sounds like a good one.

      Delete
  6. If you let Sirius XM expire, you can talk them down to about $5/month. We do this all the time with the new car. We tell them that we really like it, but it's too expensive to keep. They always offer us a deal at $5 month. Just remember to cancel the automatic subscription renewal before they charge you a full year at $18/month. I write the date and the phone number on my calendar and call the day before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. K, I was telling J.P. I'm going to call them tomorrow and see if I can work a better deal. I'm certainly not getting my money's worth now, mostly I listen to Pandora. But I'm loathe to give up the capability Sirius offers. If I can save a few dollars, that will make it easier to rationalize. ;-)

      Delete
  7. Beautiful music. Glad to hear that your wife and kids are on their way home. I know that you will enjoy the visit. How many animals are they bringing with them? Jana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're bringing Willa the German Shepard, Rufus who is going to live with us, and the rest I won't know til I open the cargo door on the Commander. ;-). In the past, unexpected guests have included a sick monitor lizard, a giant iguana, and some snakes. Also some bearded dragon lizards. With my daughter, you just never know.

      I like smooth jazz. That particular song I guess kind of strays between "new age" and "smooth jazz" but I'm flexible!

      Delete
  8. I would really love to have a tank, too. My second choice would be a bulldozer.......

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKjr3rdqrc4

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to have a tank. Remember that old guy in Germany who busted out of his garage and started driving down the street in a fully armed Panther? That old guy had style.

      Delete
    2. A used tank is (relatively) inexpensive depending on what you will settle for; here is a page with several Leopard 1 tanks about 20 years old for $250k give or take: http://www.armyjeeps.net/armor1.htm.
      Personally, I'd go for one of the small British armored recon vehicles, like a Ferret or a Saracen. If I wanted big gun to show off (non-functional), I'd go for a Fox. All 3 are road legal and will stop at least .30 caliber from all around. There is a ferret currently on eBay with a Buy It Now of $26,000 - it will even fit in a normal garage!

      Delete
    3. Only two hundred thousand? Hell, I'll buy two! ;-)

      That's a little out of my price range, Jonathan. I might could go $10,000 on a nice used Tiger, but that's about my limit. :-(

      I know the ferret, I saw the British using them in the 1970's during Bold Guard/ Northern Wedding . Nice little vehicle.

      Delete
  9. yup, I think I could use a tank. Have a good one Harry

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a good way to spend a Sunday. It's gotten hot here this week. Hope you enjoy the visit with the kids. I can't imagine leaving for that long of a drive at 3 in the afternoon! But I'm an early bird. I like to start things as soon as the sun is up, if not before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids always potter around, then find things they forgot to do that have to be done, and leaving early turns into late afternoon. They ALWAYS do that. I don't know why. It's aggravating because then I have to stay up late and I am not good at that. But at least they made it here.

      Delete